Unicode characters userscript

Hi everyone,

For everyone who wants some easy way to type the unicodes characters for apostrpohe (U+2019) or suspension points (U+2026) in musicbrainz, I just wrote a userscript to display a custom context menu on every input text and textarea of the website.

Just select the input you want to type in, and press “Ctrl+M” to pop up the menu. Then select the caracter you want to insert using either the mouse or the up/down arrows.

The userscript is avaliable freely for installation and use at https://github.com/Smeulf/userscripts/raw/master/mb.unicodechars.user.js

Tested under Chrome+Tampermonkey, Vivaldi+Violent Monkey (thanks @jesus2099), Firefox+Tampermonkey (thanks @rdswift) and Opera+Tampermonkey (thanks @Lotheric)

Should you need more caracters, please just let me know. Before any request, please ensure the userscript is up to date :wink:

Have fun!

Smeulf.

[Edit]

V0.3 adds quotes and dashes
V0.4 now working on Firefox
V0.5 fixes munu visibility to hidden when created
V0.6 Prime and Double Prime

[/Edit]

12 Likes

Nice idea, but I can’t get it to work with Tampermonkey and Firefox 59.0.3 (64-bit) under Windows 7. The menu shows up at the bottom of the page and doesn’t accept any mouse clicks or arrow keys to select the line to copy. When I place my cursor in a field to edit and press Ctl-M, nothing happens.

I can confirm that it works fine under Chrome and Tampermonkey.

2 Likes

Wow this new version with keyboard control is great! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment !

I’ll try to make it work under Firefox later, and keep you posted!

2 Likes

Thanks. Some additional characters you might want to include are em dash and en dash, and opening and closing quotes (single and double).

BTW, great utility! I can see this becoming one of my “must have” additions. Well done.

2 Likes

Any chance you have the unicodes values yet?

About quotes, that’s in my plans. I’m thinking about opening, closing, and opening+closing with the caret between them (hope I’ll manage to do it)

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re asking.

BTW, I think your “Suspension points” is actually called an ellipsis.

2 Likes

No problem, gonna find them :wink:

“Horizontal ellipsis” if I’m correct, I’ll update it during the evening, thanks for pointing this out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I understand. Em Dash is U+2014 and En Dash is U+2013.

2 Likes

0.3 update: Quotes, Dashes and “Horizontal Ellipsis” !

:smiley:

3 Likes

Looks good, except I think you may be showing the wrong code for right double quote on one of your lines. The right double quote and left & right double quotes show different U-values. Still not working in Firefox (although I’m not sure if you looked at that yet). Thanks.

Oh yeah, I sent an email to @colbydray to let him know about this so he could add it to his wiki page of user scripts. I hope you don’t mind.

5 Likes

Yes I was, fixed on version 0.4

Now supported! Please let me know, Firefox is not my main browser, so I won’t catch problems.
I also changed the menu font family, I prefer it this way ^^

I must thank you about that :blush:

Cheers!

4 Likes

Works like a charm on Firefox. Thanks again for a very handy utility.

2 Likes

I would really use prime (symbol for minutes) and double prime (seconds and inches), as well.

3 Likes

Updated :slight_smile:

Next step will be to beautify the menu (it’s ugly right?), and I’ll try to add some customisation: Should I maintain a german artist with my french keyboard, I may want to add ß as a regular caracter, or a ø for a swedish artist.

But I don’t want those caracters to be published for everyone, or this tool might become the full unicode list, and then too hard to use…

3 Likes

Swedes don’t use “ø” though. :man_facepalming: Danish and Norwegian has æ, ø, and å, Swedish has ä, ö, and å. :wink:

4 Likes

My appologies to all all swedish people. No offence ment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It clashes with Opera’s default keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+M is default for Tab Menu in Opera). Fortunately, shortcuts can be changed.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a big problem as the script only blocks that Ctrl+M shortcut when you are in a MusicBrainz text box.

1 Like