Disappearing topics

Continuing the discussion from Proof of editing sources:

I don’t recall any disappeared non-spam topics. Do you remember what they were about? Maybe it got merged into another topic? Maybe the topic author deleted it themselves?

I generally only close/delete/hide posts if there are targeted attacks/hostility or any bigotries. Negative feedback (which does not include outright hostility etc.) is left as-is. I (and we/MeB) agree that negative feedback can be (and often is) useful.

4 Likes

I doubt that. The particular topic had several replies and it seems not possible for normal users to delete their own OP in such cases:

You don’t have permission to delete this topic. If you really want it to be deleted, submit a flag for moderator attention together with reasoning.

The first one was in German. A user complained that Picard had deleted their files(?).
(They were throwing a tantrum, swearing in the topic title etc. and, as you implied, it might’ve appeared hostile.)

I assume the files were just moved to an unexpected directory.
Later when I went to check on the topic once again I was no longer able to view it.

@outsidecontext might also remember that topic.

In the topic about cover art @yindesu mentioned OP was demanding something along the lines that editors should upload full scans when adding releases.

Quite a lot of people replied in defense of the MB community. E.g. that not everyone has the time and/or equipment to provide scans, some are hesitant to upload booklet pages consisting of copyrighted text only, etc.

If I remember correctly the original post was flagged at some time and since I know Discourse has self-moderation features I suspect it was automatically deleted.

People get worried when things are automatically deleted while no one seems to be looking.

2 Likes

It’s not this one?

I don’t remember the disappearing files topic, but given your description it’s likely I just ignored and forgot about it after initial replies :slight_smile:

But I remember the cover art Scans topic well. It was rather aggressively requesting everyone to provide scans, because the OP had cool scanning hardware that allowed them to scan entire booklets in seconds.

It definitely was not a nice topic, but I also don’t remember a real reason to remove it. As far as I remember it was a hefty argument, but not insulting or something. But I’m also not very thin-skinned in this regard, so others maybe saw this different.

No, it was a different one

3 Likes

There goes another one: