My whish: add covers

It would be fine, that every user of MB who adds releases includes the covers. At least the front- and back-cover.

Hi @Alfg.
I add the releases I have in hands because primarily it helps me for some stuff and if other people can benefit of it, so good.
But I really have no time to get a scan out of its drawer, plug it in, scan, crop, upload, etc.
And having the release in hands, there is no immediate benefit for me to have the scan in MB anyway. :slight_smile:

I generally scan and upload the back / spines of CDs or pages from booklets to provide providence for edits I make. I’ve pretty much given up uploading covers because of one person that more often than not blocks them with “No” votes. Instead, I clean up the cover images and upload them to because album covers is one of their specialties, and they maintain high quality standards for the artwork. I set Picard to check for cover art on first when I’m tagging my collection.

Would be. Lead by example. :slight_smile:

I’m still a beginner, but I plan to upload covers, booklets and backs for all my classical CDs - not only for my own releases, but also for all the other CDs I own if they are missing on MB or have poor quality. After all, what’s the point of hoarding them here on my hard drive, if others can also benefit from them?

My wish also!!
In highest possible resolution :muscle:

This sounds really good.

As for what you wrote next:
I’m concerned.
My understanding is that any Cover Art that is of medium-fair quality or better is vastly superior to no cover art at all.
Maybe I’m wrong though.
I’d appreciate you trying to add a cover again and then asking for wider community input into the desirability of having the Cover Art you propose in the CAA (Cover Art Archive).
To be overly specific - please start a thread and ask for other editors’ views.
It is conceivable that I’d find your vision of Cover Art unfitting for the MB encyclopedia. It’s equally conceivable that I’d find it “good enough”. Or “excellent”. Or maybe your un-cleaned images would be an excellent fit?
I’d like to find out.

I’m pretty meticulous about adding cover art from my CD’s and vinyl when I add them to the database. However it is a time-consuming process. I can see why people don’t bother, because it slows down my data entry rate considerably.

@mmirG, this has already been discussed ad nauseum, and I personally don’t want to debate it all over again. If you want to see the discussion, you might want to check out the following threads:

Reconsidering archival CA scans (which you actually started and I was the only one that commented)

Advice on scanning cover art (which spawned another thread)

Uploading squared images to CAA (which made it abundantly clear that not having any cover art was preferred over having square cropped cover art)

Artwork Guidelines / Preferences (which raised the issue of “preference”)

I find the whole matter rather tiresome, and am not in a rush to spend time scanning and uploading images only to have them voted down. That’s why I’m currently only uploading images to support my edits.