Style guide: use of punctuation full-width form

Style Q as regards East Asian scripts (mainly for Japanese). Online resources will often use the unicode full-width form for punctuation (mostly ! and ?). So should the full-width form unicode be retained when typically used in the script? I guess a related question should paranthesis “( )” ever be substituted for other brackets?

2 Likes

Not everyone may agree, but for Japanese, it’s generally preferred to use normal half-width forms of ASCII punctuation (question mark, exclamation mark, parentheses).

Furthermore, Japanese punctuation should be used rather than ASCII characters that look similar, e.g.,

2 Likes

I tend to use full-width forms of parenthesis, slashes and question/exclamation marks, more, without adding space characters, especially when the track is without Latin script.

Even when the track mixes Latin and CJK characters.
But in this case it’s sure more difficult to decide.
I usually follow the packaging printed tracklist.

Especially 波ダッシュ / wave dash rather than fullwidth tilde.

Oh yes, I always forget to check if I have releases with that!

1 Like

This has, of course, been discussed in the past, and some of those discussions haven’t disappeared or been lost:

1 Like

Thanks for the links, hadn’t found them. But regardless of what JIS spec is current, when finding info online one typically gets utf-8 encoded text strings. I see ! (u/FF01) and ! (u/0021) used for the same text item in different sources. So need to use one or the other as I don’t think a specific JIS encoding is an option?

Mimicking printed packaging is often best, IMO.