How to split/merge music video recordings

Continuing the discussion from STYLE-2428: Step by step video (releases) guidelines thread:

we don’t currently have any documentation on how to split music video recordings, so I figure this is as good a place as any to start. the main points in my mind are:

• audio differences I think we can all agree that as with audio recordings, if there’s any audio differences (added sound effects, a clean version, etc.) that should be a seperate recording
  • video differences the main topic of discussion. I’d like to propose that any visual difference should get a new recording with a few exceptions
    • overlays (like you’d see on television in particular, ratings, music video credits/lower thirds, station logos, baked-in subtitles, and similar. an example below)
    • quality differences do not a new recording make, similar to how we handle audio recordings (tho we might need to be a bit more forgiving here, as low-quality video can change quite a bit more than a similar quality drop in an audio file)

if y’all have any examples, suggestions, or something else, lemme know, of course~

previous discussions:

3 Likes

Another difference I wouldn’t make a new recording for is a copyright notice at the end of the video:

2 Likes

Another possible topic for discussion is how to handle a music video on a DVD that has both stereo and multichannel audio. Those would typically be different audio recordings but since they are all in one “stream” with the video it presents a difficult situation. I’m against splitting them apart and making two separate recordings in that case just because of the noise. Listing every video twice on a DVD etc. and then would you also split out an audio commentary, etc. I just don’t feel we have an adequate way to represent this at this time.

4 Likes

this is a good point. I think for now, we should continue handling it the same way we currently are, and figure out a data display solution for this

I think it does make sense to have seperate recordings for different audio channels, just like we currently do for audio, and especially audio commentary, since there’s spoken vocals to be credited and it might or might not have the song in the background, so you’d have to drop all the song, performer, and engineer credits

even for a 5.1 mix, I believe you’d quite likely have different mixing credits for the track, different people and/or a different studio with a 5.1 mixing setup, which would mean different recordings

Currently we do split them stereo vs 5.1.
Same for SACD, actually.

1 Like