Yes. From page 1 to page 5 in that huge list I see “Song Fight!” releases. I almost thought we had 985 pages of “Song Fight!” releases but after a more careful examination I think they are from page 1 to 5 and not all of them are “Song Fight!” releases, but many of them are.
I see that HatAndThat references in some edits 4767688(Opened:
2006-05-09 00:55 UTC), 4748402(Opened:
2006-05-06 09:12 UTC) that discussion.
I didn’t see any consensus, I interpreted it mostly like how my thread went that was about notability requirements for releases.
I’d understand consensus better if we agreed on some sort of ‘guide on how to add a songfight release’ and you’ll see some of my work a few lines below.
Below I’m trying to solve the songfight ‘how to add releases’ issue “once and for all”:
I don’t believe I can add perfect releases but I can document how I add releases and then ask for feedback. I’ll make it so this specific post can be edited countless times to adapt to feedback and it’s gonna be written like a “guide” so that everything is documented and that everything can be questioned and replaced.(and newbies who would be helped by “hand holding” can benefit too)
Disclaimer: This is a draft and it’s highly likely it’s unfinished when I send it. I just want to brainstorm a bit here that’s why I’ll send early unfinished versions.
How to add a Song Fight! release to MusicBrainz (= how I do it currently until I get your feedback how to do it in a better way):
If we can make “I Don’t Like Crowds” into a “perfect MusicBrainz songfight.org release”, we can reference back to that release so that all editors who add “Song Fight!” releases can reference to that one so everyone who adds “Song Fight!” releases know how to add future releases. Anyway here is the guide:
- Go to https://musicbrainz.org/release/add?artist=89ad4ac3-39f7-470e-963a-56509c546377
- Enter the title of the release. Take this release “I Don’t Like Crowds” as an example. I Don’t Like Crowds is in bold on that webpage. Put that in the “Title:” field in MusicBrainz.
- The release group field should have been automatically filled in with exactly the same title as in the “Title:” field.
- Set “Primary Type:” to “Album”
- Set the “Secondary Type” to “Compilation” (Thanks for the feedback aerozol. I still accept feedback and everybody is welcome to give any)
- Set the “Status:” field to “Official”.
- Set the Language and Script fields with the help from this page on how to add a release
- Date: Using the same example from earlier “I Don’t Like Crowds” you see the date values that songfight dot org publishes them in: “11/22/17 - 11/30/17”. Their format is MM/DD/YY(Month, Day, Year). Put the date in the 3 date fields like this: “Date: 2017, 11 and 30”. (ok, I decided to add the later date after I received feedback from aerozol(thx!) 2017-11-30. If anybody has more feedback it is welcome!)
- Set “Country:” field to “[Worldwide]”
- In the “Label:” field add “Song Fight!” and when the “Song Fight!” text comes up among many other label suggestions click on “Song Fight!”. Then it says “You selected Song Fight!.” If it links to https://musicbrainz.org/label/488ee39b-405f-4d6f-ae8e-0409207001ab you selected the right label.
10.1. Set the “Cat. No:” field to “[none]”
- You click on “This release does not have a barcode”
- The “Packaging:” field you set to “None”
- In the “Annotation:” field, thanks to feedback with an actual edit by aerozol, you add(in this example taken from the example release “I Don’t Like Crowds”)
11/22/17 - 11/30/17
winner: Jeff Travis Henderson
total votes: 44
Jeff Travis Henderson may not like crowds but the crowd of voters like him!
You will find this information on the release page once the release has been archived.
14. Add a link that links to the appropriate release page, in the “I Don’t Like Crowds” release it would be: https://www.songfight.org/songpage.php?key=i_dont_like_crowds and set it to “download for free”.
I’ve edited it now thanks to feedback from aerozol. This is still an unfinished version…the guide is still missing information on how exactly to add new artists, whether they should have links to songfight artist pages or not has not yet been explored. I’m going to save this so it is not in draft form and then continue working on this to add more steps to the guide