Combining multiple disks as single album

Earlier today, I bit off more than I can chew. I tried to add a 5-disc CD set to the database. Picard grabbed the track information from Disc 1 and found a CD Stub. When I got to the page where I can add a release, Picard had identified the title of the album, but added “, Disc 01” at the end. The release group got the same name. For the next four discs, I had to add everything manually. When I finally fix a bunch of things I forgot to do for a couple of those discs, I want to combine the five discs into a single release group without losing the proper disc order. Merging the release groups doesn’t appear to be the right way to handle this problem. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2 Likes

you’ll want to do a release merge, there’s a guide here.

there’s two types of release merges, you can handle it as a duplicate release or as a multi-disc release. you’ll want the second part of the guide for this case

2 Likes

Thanks for that guidance. I think I’m going to cancel all my edits for this multi-disc set and start over. That probably will be less time consuming than fixing minor things piecemeal.

1 Like

Hi @Landlubber,
Is it the Six Star Treats by Artichaut?
Please keep it, it’s no problem to continue improving it, by merging, as explained by @UltimateRiff.

It’s already looking quite good, no?
You can merge release groups towards disc 01 and releases towards disc 01 (don’t forget to type medium titles, if any).
Then you can remove disc 01 from release group and release titles.

Update

There I queued the combination edits, @Landlubber.

3 Likes

When you submit releases from actual CD, you don’t really have the choice but to merge mediums as a second step.

It’s either that or you manually create a multi-medium release but then you still have to submit disc ID and set track times for each medium.

Your method is cleaner, but we have to wait for the merge to apply…

If you fix stuff in your own release, we can approve the edits, just tell us here.

For example, super jewel box and 2018 seem both wrong info.

Jesus2099,

Thanks for merging the five discs from “Six Star Treats.” I would have thanked you earlier, but never received an email stating that you had replied to my email. With other forums, I get an email whenever someone replies.

2 Likes

No problem.
The other method is also good:
Create multi disc release then submit all disc ID to it and don’t forget to set track times from each disc ID in the disc ID tab of the release.

You have different settings to receive e-mails or not, check out your email preferences. :wink:

1 Like

I just signed up for emails. Thanks.

A couple of months ago, I ripped a 2-CD album and got it added to the database, but then stopped because I didn’t know how to respond when I arrived at other windows asking for information. Lately, I’ve been adding the missing metadata for this album, but cannot combine the two discs. I followed the instructions for “Merge Releases” exactly, but lost the tracks from Disc 2. Then, I tried a slightly different approach, but got the same result. I have to wonder whether the software has changed while the instructions have remained the same.

In my opinion, someone who really understands how the MusicBrainz database works should create a series of comprehensive examples, which will greatly benefit novices like me and users who don’t add information all the time. The first example should show how to rip a disc using MusicBrainz Picard and then how to get through each of the windows that follow (e.g., creating track listings with artist’s names, etc.). If nothing else, the example will convince most people not to start this process in the late afternoon or evening when they are tired.

2 Likes

This seems to mean that you have merged with the Merge mediums and recordings” Merge strategy:

Merge strategies :wink:

Which is not the default.
You should have kept the default Append mediums to target release” Merge strategy. :slight_smile:

I think there are documentations, tutorials and even videos.
But it is not easy to make them visible.

Also, did you remember to set “disc 2” to medium 2 before merge?

1 Like

I used the default setting, which is Append mediums to target release.

I have found some tutorials on YouTube, but I’m not fond of them. Each one that I have watched has had what sounds like a 14-year-old girl (that is, a high-pitched female voice) explaining the topic while loud music is playing in the background. When I was young, I had hearing like a bat. At 72, I have difficulty hearing her words over that music. In any event, a comprehensive example in the How To section would be better for me because I can open the example on an iPad and refer to it while entering the data on my computer.

I don’t see the screen you highlighted, but here is a screenshot of my work.

By the way, I get the same bad result if I type the name of the album without “Disc 1” in the space for “New Disc Title.”

I think try again and don’t cancel your edit.
I think your previous edits were correct but you cancelled them before they applied (it takes 1 week of pair review voting period).

Here’s a screenshot of what I get every time I attempt to merge these two discs. 51 tracks become 26 tracks.

I think IvanDobsky found the secret in that screen with Medium 2 and arrow keys, but I don’t know where to find that screen. When I wanted to identify some medleys, I had to use arrow keys to set the order of the songs in the medley. MusicBrainz would not let me type the song’s number directly, which is what I have done with the merge function. With medleys, the arrow keys are in plain sight. With release merge, they are not apparent, and the instructions do not mention them.

It is just a misleading display issue.
It just tells you that the targeted release is the one that currently has 26 tracks.
But as we can read:

• Append mediums
  • Disc 01 Medium 1 is now Medium 1
  • Disc 02 Medium 1 is now Medium 2

Then all is good, just wait 1 week.

It should say will be Medium X instead of is now, maybe.

In my open edits, I don’t see the three items you listed in bold face type, but I’ll wait a week to see what happens. Thanks.

I saw it on your screenshot:

Ach but now I spot something seems wrong this time:

Edit #97611028 - Merge releases

That Old Arlen Magic, Disc 01
Medium 1 is now medium 2 (will be medium 2 in merged release)

That Old Arlen Magic, Disc 02
Medium 1 is now medium 1 (will be medium 1 in merged release)

Is it normal that you put Disc 01 as disc 2 in the target and Disc 02 as disc 1 in the target?
It seems you should cancel and redo the other way, unless I mistake.

The bit I am pointing at is in the bottom of the guide

For that SECOND release, edit the RELEASE on the normal RELEASE editing page. On the TRACKLIST tab you can shuffle your CDs around and set a different order

Those arrows let you set Disc 02 as Medium 2

Looking at your screenshot, I think your discs will at least appear in the correct release now, and you may have to shuffle the order afterwards. (Something a little weird may be happening on that Merge Releases page… something I bypass by just setting my medium numbers before clicking the Merge Release)

Yeah, something seems to have got confused in the middle of your merge…

It SHOULD look like this…

Will lead to this:

And Disc1 is Medium 1, and Disc 2 is Medium 2

1 Like

IMO, pre-editing release medium order can be useful in some cases but not in this simple case, where it is easier to just assign proper medium indexes on merge edit page. :wink: