Works with Place Names in the Title (collection)

I’d expect Earth would probably be acceptable. I mean, no matter where you point on a map, it’s there. :wink:

after looking through 7 pages, I found two adjectives, and I added the first one:

I personally would think it’s okay, but I defer to @sound.and.vision for the final say on that. if it is, I suppose Bohemian Rhapsody and Bohemian Like You would be good additions~

I could use a good time waster. May I be added?

Song with my hometown in them:

2 Likes

I’d prefer to not use adjectives yet - so no American, English, French etc.

3 Likes

I have added that work and you have been invited into the madness!

Have updated the description to request that adjectives to not be added.

Acronyms are fine though.

1 Like

What I really hope to end up with at some point is that free text field in collections we’ve been asking for :smiley:

Then I can make a column where we can establish what place is being referred to, which might mean i could start putting them on an interactive map of sorts.

3 Likes

I’d love to collaborate on this! I think about it sometimes when I see places in titles.

2 Likes

as madness once sang, “welcome to the house of fun” :smiley:

You’re in!

1 Like

So, the Beach Boys’ “Kokomo” is about a fictional place, but there is a real place by that name. The Collection’s “Long Rule” could qualify or disqualify it.

How about historical names? For instance, Enya’s song “Ebudae” - Ebudae is an ancient name for what is now called the Hebrides islands in Scotland.

When I am adding to the list, the simple rule I keep in head is: “Can I put a pin in it on the map?” That would have given me a No to your first, but Yes to the second.

Mapping of them is an ultimate aim of the curator.

1 Like

The Collection “Long rule” says "...the songs don't have to be about a place - just a place name in the title!" So “Kokomo” isn’t about the city in Indiana, but the name is there. Maybe I’m thinking too hard…

Erh? What place does bohemian refer to?
Aah ok, Bohemia is a region.
I didn’t know!
I only knew the lifestyle.

1 Like

The way I read is if a song is mentioned in the title, then you can’t translate that to a different place which happens to be spelt the same. In your example, the place in the title is not the one in Indiana.

So you can’t put a pin in the actual place they are singing about. The place in their title is fictional. The place in Indiana is not in the song.

Same with you can’t “pin” Bohemian as it it not a place, unless the song is renamed “Rhapsody in Bohemia”.

3 Likes

I can go with that. Thanks.

2 Likes

Are instrumental works allowed ? They aren’t sung! If so the collection should be renamed “Works with Place Names in the Title”

1 Like

Yeah I’d say so as I’ve been adding them, I should probably rename it!

1 Like

I think I even saw some soundtracks and classical works in there

1 Like

Yep, all been renamed now :smiley:

It’s my fault as i just call works “songs” without really thinking about the technicalities behind it.

1 Like