Updated releases

I am seeing more and more artists releasing albums song by song, i.e. updating a release with new songs every week or month.

One example is from this edit: https://musicbrainz.org/edit/63080893

I think we need to have a discussion on how to enter these releases (I apologize if it’s been discussed already but I couldn’t find anything in the forum/documentation). Some people recommend adding a new release on every update, but IMHO I it doesn’t make much sense – especially since most of these releases will be complete at some point.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts about this.

1 Like

On the other hand, we might want to keep track of the release dates of each updated version. :thinking:

2 Likes

Related threads:

5 Likes

Thank you, I had missed these two topics, I will check them out.

If you notice, at least on Spotify, which has this a lot. They give out a new barcode everytime they release a new track, because technically, it’s a new release. Some start as a single, become EPs and sometimes eventually full blown albums. Why not just put in the new date, like you mentioned on your other post and that way we see when those tracks were actually added. So, if there is a 22 track album, one track at a time, yes, we will have 22 releases.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I realize now that some data is lost if we don’t make a new release on every update. Still, this is not very elegant. It would good to have a way to enter these changes in a single release, maybe with some kind of versioning system or something like that.

4 Likes