The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

you guys are going to be the death of me. i’m gonna end up spending $50 on a jingle bells fish just to scan the box

2 Likes

Yes, MB can be an excuse for some guilty pleasures. :wink:

4 Likes

not to turn this into the singing fish thread but… oops, my hand slipped

Big Mouth Billy Bass - MusicBrainz
Travis the Singing Trout - MusicBrainz
& others… 1 2

the autism hyperfocus kicked in and i messaged this wonderful soul asking if they had any information/box scans/etc. im particularly excited about the russian knockoffs like this one

hope i get a response… still seems like a very active channel

2 Likes

well, welcome to FishBrainz, I guess…

all seriousness aside, I don’t know if that’s beautiful or cursed, but I love it either way~ :joy:

5 Likes

To be honest I want a 'brainz project for like everything - but then I realise that I would have to spread my time between all of them!

2 Likes

In case you didn’t see it yet, there is a Brainz fantasy list. :wink:

1 Like

Theres some great ones in there!

Moving away from singing fish and dreams, whats your favourite mechanism in MusicBrainz.

Mine has to be the ability to merge items together, its great - it means nothing gets lost but reduces duplication!

2 Likes

Mine is really, with no hesitation, collection highlighter.

It’s really THE reason of using MB for me: seeing all what I already have (recordings, mostly), including in albums I don’t have.
Seeing all things that I might want to acquire (see why with my second favourite feature) without adding redundancy.

It is not a genuine MB feature (it’s a user script), but it’s thanks to MB. And I really hope one day it will be part of MB, to save my maintenance time. And also to enable this, even on browsers that don’t support user scripts, like most mobile browsers.

My second favourite feature is ratings!

2 Likes

the CAA!! mixed w/ the funkey illustrated records script it just makes me so happy. collecting pretty cover art was a big reason i started collecting music

other than that i really like tags :3 the ability to cancel edits is nice too

4 Likes

Did you know that @teethfairy makes great music??

@uZer42 (uZer42) isn’t on the forums but their current project is great as well: Stream null.part music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud

2 Likes

omg thank you!! my mom is a classical musician so ive spent my whole life making music that sounds as little like anything any she would play as i can haha

1 Like

Haha nice, I have a friend who has followed a very similar path, but more down the noisy route :stuck_out_tongue:
I think his mom digs it though!

1 Like

haha thats awesome. my mom & i have been making some music together lately. trying to figure out what genre features both violoncello and heavy samples from buffy the vampire slayer has been a struggle but we’re getting there :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

probably gonna have to pick Folksonomy tags~ I’ve actually discovered new music through simply searching and browsing tags.

some of my favorites as of late:

I could have sworn there was a larger Zalgo tag that I found a few months back, but I can’t seem to find it with search…

I dunno, I might start a thread for good tags like these, I can’t tell you how many great tags I’ve randomly come across and lost since…

I did not, actually… I’ll have to check him out… :wink:

4 Likes

you’ve made my day with these hahah. big fan of We’ve All Been Tricked Into Thinking This Reality Is Normal & Acceptable, It’s Not. Your Anxiety Is Real & Bugging Out Is The Correct Response. sometimes i like to scroll through sillyname for ideas about how to annoy people. my little sibling wanted a performance name and i told them they should make it “:crown:” (their birthname means king :slight_smile: ).

you totally should make a thread for good tags!!

4 Likes

Not off topic, but not really deserving of its own thread…

Does anyone have some excellent research skills and can find out if these two UK ‘Headspace Records’ labels are the same? The specifics are in the annotation atm, I struggled to find more history:

Your day they don’t have the same logo.
The older one has release from the 80s, and the new one says:

https://www.headlinerecords.co.uk/
Headline Records is a new Record Label and Label Services company that works directly with artists and labels to provide a polished and professional platform to release music into the world.

So let’s consider them another label, for the moment.

1 Like

Thanks jesus!

@ev also found some info on irc (just in case this pops up in a later search):

aerozol: Looked on companies house. the active one was incorporated last year

the headline records releases all seem to have phonographic copyright / manufacturing / marketing by Creole Records which is owned by Sanctuary so I would doubt they would have flogged off their IP to this startup

the recent one just looks like a rubbish startup. look at the articles of incorporation

also look at the old label on Discogs. it looks like most of the entries are erroneous, except for the Peter Green albums which have the HED cat numbers

and on all the Peter Green albums the real label actually appears to be Creole

which is owned by Sanctuary and I don’t believe that Sanctuary are really in the business of selling off their catalogue to startups

and if this startup actually bought Peter Green’s material, one would think that they would start reissuing that stuff to keep afloat

Sanctuary is now part of BMG. So, I agree, not likely the startup.

1 Like

peek

Hi there. Just felt like dropping in and saying hi this morning.

I never had really introduced myself around here, but I have been an editor at MBz for a couple of years now, just occasionally plugging away at random nerdy stuff in on-and-off cycles. When Plex added support for matching music with MB, that’s actually what brought me into the fold, as my friend runs a large, collectively available and extensible Plex media server for our friend group, and we were really struggling with how to organize and categorize music until we turned to MB.

I’m usually mostly down-to-business and not much of a socialite, but given how much I love MeB and MB and am dedicated to the projects, I felt like it would make sense to make some friends and connections, and get roots down in the community. So hi! :stuck_out_tongue:

I like a bunch of Touhou music and am a fan of many circles that arrange the music of the games, so I spent most of my entire day yesterday working on Sally releases and getting those up to snuff, with recording-work relationships and arranger/lyricist/arrangement source credits and all that jazz. I’m pretty happy with my work.

5 Likes