Stickers and stamps: separate entries?

There is this entry:

and this one:

The difference is a stamp that was clearly added after the record and cover were pressed/printed. Does that actually warrant a separate entry? To me it feels like it, since the front image would be clearly different and as a collector I would want a copy of this separate entry.

Now there is another version of this album. The first so-many copies of the album include a poster and got a sticker on the front to mention the poster. Would that be a new entry as well? Again, I would love to see it as a different entry but I thought it best to ask it here first.

Now I also have two copies of this (which is not in MB yet):
https://www.discogs.com/release/4948284-Pallas-Eyes-In-The-Night-Arrive-Alive
One has the sticker on the top left, the other on the top right. Now that would clearly NOT be a separate entry. Right?

thanks!

I thought past discussions said that we don’t create new releases for different hype stickers on otherwise same official releases, for example, but we can upload the various stickers in the Cover arts tab.

But in fact I cannot find those discussions… So it’s a good question.

Here your example is about a promotion version, usually it is a separate release in MB, it’s what I usually see.

1 Like

Well, opinions change so sometimes it is good to have a discussion again. :slight_smile: I can see both points of view (not really a different release, just a hype sticker or a promo stamp, vs. the collector wanting to see and mark the different entries) so don’t have a strong opinion for either.

2 Likes

OK, so besides the sticker/stamp, this actually has a different value in one of the fields. Yes, that makes sense.

But does a sticker or stamp really make it a promotional release? It makes a promotional copy of a release. But as a release, it was not different. It is a bunch of copies from the same release.

Hm, getting more interesting now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Different stickers - I’ll just add the different images to one release. Many people would have removed the sticker once it was home and the rest of the product is the same.

The first x-hundred included a poster. Again feels like it is same version of the record, just something else thrown in the package. (I have albums with free T-Shirts). An idea to speed up first week sales.

These are all things personally I’d add to the annotation. Explain these are out there, but don’t actually change the main artwork or music.

2 Likes

I’d expect both of these to count as different release art and different releases, but I guess the stickers can be debatable. I expect the poster though is non-debatable new art?

3 Likes

For the same band we also have the first X copies of The Knightmoves EP which included an extra single (plus a sticker to tell buyers about it). For MB of course that is a new release since it has a different track listing (extra medium).

1 Like

I like documenting stuff. Can’t see any problem with having “too many” releases. I’ve seen other threads try and just argue down this kinda thing is just a shop basket, but I like any excuse to see extra merch.

2 Likes

I like that way of thinking. There is no harm in making an extra entry, right? With the right annotations and a link to the other release perhaps.

1 Like

It will annoy the hell out of some people and there would potentially be an attempt to merge it. I would not do it for a sticker, but a poster could be an excuse for a new release.

You then create a problem for the next collector identifying their version. They pick up the vinyl from their collection and desperately try and remember which 1980s bedroom wall they left the poster on :laughing:

I love the detailed fantasy artwork from this era. I own some albums purely for the artwork.

1 Like

Yeah, in this case the sticker is about the included artwork, same as the sticker on The Knightmoves to tell about the bonus single. I’ll add it when I have scanned the cover with sticker.

:rofl: In the case of Pallas, I have not heard of anyone having the album with the sticker but lacking the poster. Prog fans, perhaps not the bedroom poster type? :wink:

Oh me too! I made a high res scan of the poster and it ended up being 140 MB. I will upload a smaller version of that, though…

The stickers are making these clearly planned editions and not just something chucked together as a promo by the store. A good reason to include them.

I don’t know. My mate had his Dark Side of the Moon posters up. I always used to envy his Hawkwind collection. All those amazing fold out vinyls.

You needed the art to go with the music to take you on that journey… the digital media generation don’t know what they are missing.

(Adds random Rodney Matthews image - “Encore at the End of Time”)

2 Likes

I agree. I never bothered with store stickers, those are not part of the release.

Indeed. So much to discover on larger artwork.

Oh, and I love the works by Rodney Mathews and Patrick Woodroffe more than Roger Dean, to be honest.

The hype stickers that say “also includes x,y,z singles” are the ones that are part of the release, but not important enough for a new version. These will often change during a year as more singles are released from an album. OR variations in different countries.

Rodney Matthews and Hipgnosis are the two I have the most books and posters of. Artwork to make you think and dream

2 Likes

That’s a good point. There’s a difference between stickers that are devoted to (a partial batch of) a release with something special, and stickers that are just smacked on to scream for attention. The latter are hype stickers, the former are definitely not.

Adding a poster, adding a single - it is a bit like a Deluxe Release of a CD. Something to give you a good reason to buy it TODAY as it may not be there tomorrow. Aimed at the collector\fan and not just the browsers.

2 Likes

Exactly. Casual listeners are good with having one release in a release group. Collectors might want to dive deeper and know all different releases inside a release group. I know enough. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please go ahead and upload the full resolution version! :grin::+1:

1 Like

I can send it to you if you want, but for the database I’ll use a smaller version. I don’t know why but to me it does not feel right to clog the database with images that large. The goal is to document releases, not to have an archive of super large scans. :slight_smile: But I have no problem sharing them of course.

1 Like

Well, they literally go into the Cover Art Archive in the Internet Archive :slight_smile: A smaller set of thumbnails would be automatically generated anyway (but if you don’t feel comfortable putting it online for rights reasons, that’s totally understandable).

2 Likes