Segmentation fault running Picard

I was happily running Picard 2.4.2 on Linux Mint 20 without issues. I installed Puddletag 2.0.1 in the hope of using them in tandem. After that Picard became very problematic. Sometimes it would start from the menu, sometimes nothing would happen. Sometimes I could start Picard from a terminal but other times I got a message ‘Segmentation fault (core dumped)’. Puddletag seemed to work fine throughout but if I can’t have both, I’d sooner have Picard. Even after uninstalling Puddletag, Picard doesn’t work any more.
Any ideas, anyone?

I don’t see why Puddletag would prevent Picard to run.
Please enable debug mode, and provide a debug log, see https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#getting-logs

1 Like

Is this what you need? I’m now using 2.4.4 because that is what is in the ppa. It still will not run from menu at all.

D: 15:54:16,500 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.init:225: Starting Picard from ‘/usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.py’
D: 15:54:16,500 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.init:226: Platform: Linux-5.4.0-45-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.29 CPython 3.8.2
D: 15:54:16,500 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.init:228: Versions: Picard 2.4.4, Python 3.8.2, PyQt 5.15.0, Qt 5.15.0, Mutagen 1.45.1, Discid discid 1.1.0 (compat layer from python-libdiscid 0.4.1), libdiscid 0.6.2, astrcmp C, SSL OpenSSL 1.1.1f 31 Mar 2020
D: 15:54:16,500 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.init:229: Configuration file path: ‘/home/markb/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard.ini’
D: 15:54:16,500 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.init:231: User directory: ‘/home/markb/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard’
D: 15:54:16,501 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:83: Using locale ‘en_GB.UTF-8’
D: 15:54:16,502 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:85: Loading gettext translation, localedir=’/usr/share/locale’
D: 15:54:16,503 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:87: Loading gettext translation (picard-countries), localedir=’/usr/share/locale’
D: 15:54:16,504 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:89: Loading gettext translation (picard-attributes), localedir=’/usr/share/locale’
D: 15:54:16,508 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:108: _ = <bound method GNUTranslations.gettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x7fc974db6d30>>
D: 15:54:16,509 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:109: N_ = <function at 0x7fc97e839040>
D: 15:54:16,509 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:110: ngettext = <bound method GNUTranslations.ngettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x7fc974db6d30>>
D: 15:54:16,509 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:111: gettext_countries = <bound method GNUTranslations.gettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x7fc974db6d90>>
D: 15:54:16,509 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:112: gettext_attributes = <bound method GNUTranslations.gettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x7fc974db6e20>>
D: 15:54:16,509 /usr/lib/picard/picard/i18n.setup_gettext:113: pgettext_attributes = <bound method GNUTranslations.pgettext of <gettext.GNUTranslations object at 0x7fc974db6e20>>
D: 15:54:16,532 /usr/lib/picard/picard/webservice/init._network_accessible_changed:291: Network accessible requested: 1, actual: 1
D: 15:54:16,535 /usr/lib/picard/picard/webservice/init.set_cache:314: NetworkDiskCache dir: ‘/home/markb/.cache/network/’ current size: 1.3 MB max size: 100 MB
D: 15:54:16,536 /usr/lib/picard/picard/pluginmanager.load_plugins_from_directory:219: Looking for plugins in directory ‘/usr/lib/picard/picard/plugins’, 0 names found
D: 15:54:16,536 /usr/lib/picard/picard/pluginmanager.load_plugins_from_directory:219: Looking for plugins in directory ‘/home/markb/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard/plugins’, 0 names found
D: 15:54:16,537 /usr/lib/picard/picard/ui/playertoolbar.init:91: Internal player: QtMultimedia available, initializing QMediaPlayer
D: 15:54:16,580 /usr/lib/picard/picard/ui/playertoolbar.init:98: Internal player: available, QMediaPlayer set up
D: 15:54:16,675 /usr/lib/picard/picard/tagger.main:980: Looking for Qt locale en_GB in /home/markb/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyQt5/Qt/translations
D: 15:54:16,676 /usr/lib/picard/picard/browser/browser.start:78: Starting the browser integration (127.0.0.1:8000)

I see nothing wrong in this log, Is it complete til the crash?
You can try to back up your config file and start without one: mv /home/markb/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard.ini home/markb/.config/MusicBrainz/Picard.ini.bak then run Picard again and tell us if Picard starts.

@phw : any idea?

I am fairly sure I did try that. For a time, starting picard from the terminal using ‘picard -d’ worked a few times and then stopped altogether. After that it would give the segmentation fault every time. To satisfy my own curiosity, I tried ‘pip install picard’ too. Picard ran ONE time before returning to seg fault at every attempt. I should add that my reason for suspecting Puddletag 2.0.1 was that it uses a few of the same modules. Also, nothing else has been changed software/config-wise. At present I have a working version of Puddletag running from a local (ie inside my home) folder. I have completely purged picard for the time being.
Also, as an aside, I signed up for notifications for replies but have received none at all.

It seems you disabled notifications by email, live (browser) notifications are enabled though, check your preferences.