Segmentation fault running Picard

It looks like this is a pretty old thread, but your issue may have something to do with recent updates that landed in GNOME, which were released to Ubuntu about a week ago. More information on that can be seen here:

With regard to the error message, your system is nudging you to investigate a windowing system issue between the newer Wayland, vs. legacy X11. Have you tried running Picard over either protocol?

e.g., from the command line:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb, followed by picard
—or—
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland followed by picard?

If so, were there any error messages, or did the application load successfully between the two systems?

QMediaPlayer is the Qt class that allows the player at the bottom of Picard. This lets you preview tracks that are loaded into Picard.

Well drag n drop is still working for me so I’m not sure what the issue could be… somewhat recently I had to install qt4 alongside my already existing qt5 libraries. I wonder if it has something to do with that?

I tried running picard on Ubuntu over Wayland and an Xorg session, but both gave me that same error message I mentioned above.

e.g., from the command line:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb, followed by picard
—or—
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland followed by picard?

If so, were there any error messages, or did the application load successfully between the two systems?

I am currently running an X session. I tried both of those suggestions in the terminal and nothing happens at all - no error message and no picard.

Sorry, I didn’t realize that I was supposed to run picard after the export command. I get the same segmentation fault on Xorg than I do Wayland, the only difference is it doesn’t ask me to use QT_QPA_PLATFORM this time. picard --no-player is still the only way to make it work.

i.e.
ac: Unknown GPU, using 0 for raster_config
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I’m going to reboot and try on Wayland real quick

export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland followed by picard works but I still get the warning message:

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.

Now with this directly beneath it:

QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread

Picard also still will not start from clicking it’s icon in the start menu/unity dash. I’m going to check it’s exec params in the .desktop file

Check for any global environment variables set in your user’s .bashrc file, specifically exports that mention X11, xcb, or wayland with regard to Qt. Remove or comment them out if needed. Note that environment variables in this file are loaded at login, and are not refreshed automatically. You will need to log out, or reboot to test changes made therein.

This message is normal, and can be ignored.

You’re on the right track here if Picard is starting now via command line with export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland. The Exec line of Picard’s .desktop file should read as follows:

Exec=env QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland picard %F