Problems with ISRC batch-add

I’ve tried asking people see when there gonna fix it but they always say it will be fixed when it’s fixed which doesn’t help things so that is why I am hoping a coders comes a long this thread that is willing to fix it

@kepstin’s magic-isrc beta should work with the current server.

I’m not sure what’s the current status of @jesus2099’s tools :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am now using @JonnyJD’s isrcsubmit.py all the time I need to submit my discs’ ISRC.

Now, there are two pending projects if you want to be able to mass paste ISRC to submit a whole non‐CD release ISRC:

Dumb user perspective:

It does not. The other one worked for a while, but both ones now answer with that blog link:

regardless of using MB in alpha or beta, and the form no longer handles pasting in batch. (Tried several formats, from clean list to .cue, most of which were “understood” before.) . And

with isrcsubmit.py for me nothing has changed since January.

As for the 2 projects, I do not understand GitHub but appreciate the difference between project and -gram. Indicators of a sort is that the MASS ISRC integration into MBS’ release page seems to do with MusicBrainz Server (which I do not), and the 1st line “On the release page, hit the new Mass submit ISRC button […]” which is what I still find missing (and therefore should be wrong).

I do not ask for help on this, at least not for myself. You do great work I cannot follow, but maybe contribute a grumpy view on priority of official built-in functions. I fail to understand how a thing like an ISRC batch button is not already present at MB alpha, and have not the time. I paste them into annotation instead.

1 Like

If this can help, I put my CD in drive d: and then call an ISRC.BAT file of mine (that uses three different ISRC tools), but here is the part about isrcsubmit.py (it works in 64 bit as well, I think):

echo.
echo '''isrcsubmit.py''' (with mediatools backend)
setlocal
set _curpat=%cd%
for /f "tokens=2 delims=:." %%x in ('chcp') do set _cp=%%x
cd /d C:\Users\Bob\Documents\PRG\isrcsubmit-2.1.0-win32
chcp 65001>NUL & python isrcsubmit.py -d d: -u yourMBusername %* & chcp %_cp%>NUL
cd /d %_curpat%
endlocal
echo.

Replace yourMBusername by… your MB user name. :slight_smile:

Tell me what does not work.

You have to open a DOS command line window first (press Windows+R, type cmd press Enter), then type python isrcsubmit.py --help and press Enter.

But the even most difficult part is that you have to have installed Python first. :confused:

This is just a wish, this is not developped yet, sadly.

Where/what is alpha? :thinking:

1 Like

Anyway don’t loose hope, I also need mass ISRC so I will surely do something.
But I have so very little time to do it so I don’t know when, really… and the web service call is much more complex to do now. :cry:

isrc.bat : I have no grip on .bat files. Have coped with a few earlier, but any approach needing disc in drive is not preferred, because ISRCs are already fetched when ripping audio (repetition not wanted), and written to .cue which (along with .log and scans) works for computers having no optical drives (also 32/64-bit to and fro).

isrcsubmit.py : The line

C:\Users\...\isrcsubmit-2.1.0-win32

would also have to be changed, right? I now have:

echo.
echo '''isrcsubmit.py''' (with mediatools backend)
setlocal
set _curpat=%cd%
for /f "tokens=2 delims=:." %%x in ('chcp') do set _cp=%%x
cd /d D:\USB32\MB\isrcsubmit-2.1.0-win32
chcp 65001>NUL & python isrcsubmit.py -d d: -u Griomo %* & chcp %_cp%>NUL
cd /d %_curpat%
endlocal
echo.

So this is to be copied into a file named [floatboat].bat and then what?

Certainly “not recognized”, as Python is not installed, and JonnyJD’s isrcsubmit.py does not lead on that subject.

Python: Rabbit hole ahead. The thing is, that bookmarklet worked before, albeit just for a while, but without such “Smells like Linux spirit” tinkering. No offence intended. Please consider whether this is worth your while, and also whether succeeding with me would make its worth as help in time before ws/2 is deprecated too and something else is needed for the avantgarde to get their fix. (Still not asking for it.) Sticking ISRCs into annotation is otherwise fine, actually old school.

You are flattering me. If beta is beta.musicbrainz.org then alpha is presupposedly & -ingly the official alpha.musicbrainz.org – or we have a fundamentals mixup.

1 Like

ws/1 was deprecated in 2011 and not actually removed before last year (or earlier this year), after several notices had been made available. We didn’t just remove it suddenly with not notice. And while we do have plans for a ws/2.5 (or ws/3), it should be mostly identical to ws/2, with main difference being how rate limiting works (and possibly being JSON only). Unless you mean to say that you may be 5+ years to do this, I doubt ws/2 will stop being available.

Main musicbrainz.org is usually referred to as “production” (or prod.) or just “musicbrainz.org”. Calling it “alpha” seems misleading, since “alpha” with regards to software releases pretty much always refers to a stage prior to beta, not following the beta. I guess it could be called “gamma”… but that’s not a nomenclature that we are using anywhere else. E.g., the Beta Cycle document (aimed at MBS developers) calls the stage after “beta” for “production”.

2 Likes

Oh, that was just my misgiving with reference to what happened last time, that it (that is, something similar) could happen again. Plugins have a similar story with me, but blame is mine. I have not missed a single notice on ws/1 deprecation, because those “channels” (loss for the right word here, accurate enough without being understood as actual denotation), to me, are too foreign. I remember a hideous thing called Web 2.0 that, in my end user view, manifested itself most typically as obstructing splash layers. Hopefully ws/2, whatever it is (= WSDL 2.0? Not asking, though.), will not be mispimped that way.

I try to contribute ISRC. Someone has made it so that they are auto-fetched to ripp log without my effort. I would be happy forwarding them to MB. If that takes ws/1—2, Python & JSON, DOS cmd & BAT – then maybe I would need 5+ years, but surely rather decline beforehand: ad notam.

Aha, chronology over hierarchy. Fundamentals mixup it is then, thank you.

1 Like

I mean, one of the channels is our blog:

The blog has a lot of useful updates not just for developers but also everyone else interested in the goings-on within MetaBrainz projects, such as MusicBrainz. If you’re not already checking that at least every once in a while, I’d highly recommend you do. :slight_smile:

“ws/1” is shorthand for “Web Service version 1” (which was accessed via http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/…, note the last part of the URL). In the same vein, “ws/2” is shorthand for “Web Service version 2” (which is accessed via https://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/…).

2 Likes

Yes, that link was posted by me too, in the very 1st post of this thread revisit, and sufficiently understood when encountered long before that. I gather also the blog is a channel worth its visits. But alas! am brought back to:

and you would not want me havocking any dev layers. Something dummie-safe and superficial is needed. The Kepstin/Jesus bookmarklet did just fine, and if a thing like it is now impossible, then please say so. It would be an improbable aimed-for object but typical side-effect.

As guessed then, and surely fine – but I keep to https://musicbrainz.org.

It is hard enough trying not to step on others’ toes when communicating things technical (that I do not understand) through a forum designed for socializing (for which I have no time) in text dependent on formatting (which varies from edit to ticket to forum). And with this forum being public, there is a point in taking other readers into one’s wording. I really ask not why ISRC batch-add is so much harder to paste than copy, but merely how to do it; and that haxxors here, should they deem it unrewarding to anyone, they say so.

ISRC, as member of the International Standards family, has some official importance in relating entities, which is if not the MB main purpose, then its prerequisite. I will keep pasting into Annotation, this way at least having neat batches for Posterity to easily search for within the database.

Thanks again.