#MetaBrainz Meeting 2021-08-09
International Monday of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
Last week I enhanced the UX and UI of
MBS-11680, implemented notices for existing URLs, fine-tuned details, especially tab focus and keyboard navigation, and wrote new tests. Added Flow support for URLCleanup.js and fixed detected bugs.
Fixed old tests and adapted new tests for
MBS-9902. Continued looking at code related to
MBS-3774 and experimented modifying a little bit. (Surprised to find out that it seems no backend code change is required
That’s all, thank you.
Last week, I worked on migrating the remaining spark jobs to use new parquet dumps. all jobs are now able to use new format dumps. After that, i started reworking the tests. will continue working on that this week.
also, did some misc work on various PythonBrainz, some rabbitmq debugging. finally, a couple of brief discussions with @akshaaatt about the android app.
last week I pushed a PR to LB to start the task of moving the listens table to use user_id instead of user_name, this will make it easier for us to rename users. we think it’s almost there, I had some back and forth with
@rob, and need to try a few suggestions
I worked with @amcap1712 on some pythonbrainz backend tasks, and had a large discussion about rabbitmq, lots of interesting questions about how we’re using it
@amcap1712 is doing a great job with looking at something in LB, saying “why are we doing it like that?” and then finding a bunch of improvements
I also continued some work on migrating AB react pages to typescript
oh, I also started some work on improving the way that we handle connections to external services (db, redis, rabbitmq) in LB, but this made me go down a, uh, rabbit hole
Hope y’all are doing good, I am Rohit from last summer haha. Just wanted give an update that I finally graduated and working full time now :). Thank you so much for the support, especially @yvanzo for helping me out when I reached out. Looking forward to contributing back to the community
Make mb/user/edit redirect to mb/account/edit
It was noted that /user/edit redirecting to /account/edit might be confusing, so instead it was suggested to “take over” the edit user and put a note in its Bio text linked to /account/edit instead. This latter approach was agreed to be the path to take.
Improved MB monitoring
@alastairp noted that there is currently not a lot of distinguishing between teams in the alerts, making it hard to tell what’s relevant to you.
@zas mentioned that he has “a bunch of ideas about improving monitoring and alerting”.
@alastairp additionally noted that he feels “like many alerts aren’t actionalable by anyone”.
@zas noted that he’s “delaying upgrading to grafana 8 which has many changes to alert system, and I would like to get rid of influxdb and replace it with prometheus (which would also make us able to get rid of nagios): then we need “per team” telegram alerts, which is quite easy to set up”
@rob and @bitmap agreed that @bitmap would coordinate with the MB team to figure out a short-term stop-gap measure. Also to have more team-specific alerts.
MBS-9841: Warn about the new beta version on mb.o
A full banner was deemed too intrusive. It was suggested a more targeted banner might be more appropriate, e.g. for auto-editors or experienced editors.
@Freso mentioned that the reason he doesn’t use beta is because he doesn’t want to remember to remove the “beta.” from copy/pasted URLs, which others were in agreement with.
@Rob suggested routing traffic to beta based on configuration setting, so the URL would be the same. E.g., https://musicbrainz.org/edit/user would serve https://beta.musicbrainz.org/edit/user if a user has set the beta setting/cookie. This approach was generally deemed a good idea and @Rob asked the MB team to talk to @zas about implementing it.
Trans deadnames and “credited as” as proposed in the forum
This was acknowledged as a decent approach/response for now.