MusicBrainz Web Design Revamp?

110% here - I though it was me, but if it’s a common issue we might want to consider changing it a bit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

100% agree. We are all working on building a huge DB, but who are the users? Are they people who are just looking for information about their music or about new music they would like to find out? It seems to me that there is a lot to be done in this regard.

For instance, why not use AcousticBrainz to advise the user based on their favorite music, like all the streaming platforms do?

2 Likes

I think most of the user use MB only to tag their music by Picard

Good idea! Some dashboard for editors can be useful and let us make more newcomers/consumers oriented landing page not complicating the work of contributors

1 Like

I’ve never met anyone who uses Picard and I don’t think physical media and local files will be the main sources of music in the future. On the contrary, tools to recognize online streamings, search for information for an album and find new music is what I would like to have.

User profiles

Picard @MrClon and streaming @PierPiero, bear in mind that several different user profiles do co-exist on MB, I guess.

For myself, I listen to music with physical CD in one of my music sets, basically a regular CD deck plugged on amplifier (no streaming, no Picard), press :arrow_forward: PLAY.

And I use MusicBrainz, mainly for:

1. Encyclopedic purpose, learn stuff about the artists who make the albums I like, see in what other bands or albums they are involved and try them too
  2. Keep track of my collection, to ease my life when I am in flea markets / second hand shops, I can know if it’s worth or not to buy this or that album, do I already own its recordings in another release?

Homepage

When not logged in, it’s a must to see the brief description of MusicBrainz and maybe a few release examples (like we already have).
The design can be redone but I think we already have all the important elements.

When logged in, even if I don’t really use the homepage myself, I read about having a dashboard.

We used to have a pre-NGS dashboard that was focusing on trying to increase votes (and thus more reviews) on current edits.

Here is a look at how it looked like (but most data is missing in this snapshot, pre-NGS classic site was already offline): MusicBrainz Dashboard.

• Hot edits
  • Need love edits
  • Expired edits
  • Recently changed artists
  • Recently changed releases
  • Recently changed labels
4 Likes

Is it possible to share the current analytics of the website (main queries, reference links, main contents per page views, …)?

1 Like

I think It’d be cool to run some polls so whoever designs the UI can set priority according to the amount of users for any given profile

2 Likes

But we can sum it up to:

If you are not logged in, it means you want to understand what the site is about and then maybe you would like to browse its content (latest examples, search).

If you are logged in, it means you want to fix or add stuff to the database.

I mean, whatever your profile (how you listen to music, etc.), I don’t think it changes a lot in what you expect of the home page, does it?

4 Likes

I think as editors, we’d all probably expect the same things but with a different priority order

But I like the idea of discoverable new music a la Spotify, that could drag in new users rather quickly.
Thing is, which relationships would this use to create these recommendations? Seems interesting.

Frequent problem with crowdsourcing project: they don’t have crowd to sourcing them. Community gone or never exist. So first think i do when found interesting crowdsourcing project is try to understand: Is project alive? How many active contributor? Project developing or stagnating? Isn’t it zombie-site witch and his un-life in few week when end hosting paid period?
So, for crowdsourcing project is good idea to show things like recent activity, daily statistic, changelogs of software. Not because newcomer need exactly this information, but to show him that project alive and developing, and it is reasonable investment of his time

9 Likes

In my opinion, based on the user’s interests, the home page should change a lot. If you are interested in finding music, you expect to have a home page that helps you search (by country, genre, artist, …) or browse different categories, such as

http://www.progarchives.com/

https://www.metal-archives.com/

If you are a developer, you can expect a home page similar to the one online now.

1 Like

I like the idea of different homepage for guests and logged in users. I’d also love to be able to customize my homepage (read dashboard) a bit.

This is an example of something the homepage doesn’t present well. Compare to the wikipedia homepage, which has multiple sections that invite browsing. MB has only the “Recent Additions” cover art, which doesn’t give any clue that MB could be used to answer questions like “What recordings did George Martin produce?” or “How many recorded versions of Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos are there?”

3 Likes

Highlighting the differences with other sites is another thing a homepage should do. I would avoid the competition with Wikipedia on the artists’ biography, but I would underline the completeness of the album listing: in Wikipedia you cannot find an artist who has published only one abum, in MB you can, and you can find all the releases of that album.
It’s the same thing you can find in Discogs, and that’s why I’d leverage on AcousticBrainz ad music genre categories to provide a differentiator to the site.

1 Like

This sounds good @PierPiero! :smiley:

Looks good @MrClon ! :smiley:

Makes a lot of sense and I feel the points are valid. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts @Salmon_Songs ! :smiley:

This looks really cool @aerozol ! Thanks for sharing :smiley:

I like this thought process. Thanks for sharing @MrClon ! :smiley: