Looking for a foobar2000 equivalent on Linux

Hello,

I am now using Debian stable Linux instead of Windows XP.
I am looking for a foobar2000 replacement.

I used to do everything in it so I hope I won’t have to use separate programs for ripping, playing and tagging:

• Tagging Audio CD (it automatically uses a metadata folder called %appdata%\foobar2000\cddb for that)
  • Tagging files (MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc.)
  • Tagging from MusicBrainz (files and Audio CD alike) (just artist, title, album, date, disc and track number / no need MBID, relationships, etc.)
  • Playing Audio CD
  • Ripping Audio CD
  • Playing files
  • Having multiple tabs (playlists) open (not playing) simultaneously
  • Having extremely simple, minimalist, desktop integrated interface

Optionally:

• Being extensible and heavily customisable (I don’t need this badly)
  • Scrobbling (but I don’t really use this any more)
  • It also has CD-TEXT support but I cannot ask for the Moon

I had a quick look in MusicBrainz Enabled Applications.

Quod Libet looks nice but is completely lacking Audio CD support.

Strawberry seems to have it but I don’t like the cat and strawberry pictures all over the place. I was wondering if we could remove them.

Then I found elsewhere Clémentine which seems to have the features, but why isn’t it part of MeiscBrainz Enabled Applications?
Is it not famous yet? Lacking some big stuff? No one uses it?

If you recognise yourself in the feature request list above, please tell what you use on Linux. :slight_smile:

For info, I already have Picard and @JonnyJD’s isrcsubmit tools installed.

But as I don’t know very much Linux yet, I don’t want to install many things to test them, I fear I would leave in place many bogus packages when uninstalling tested players.

3 Likes

Maybe there’s no better foobar2000 than foobar2000 :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Tried DeaDBeeF yet?

It seems it is listed. Right above foobar2000 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you very much, I will try all these and also Audacious.
I will try on a Raspberry Pi first, that I can reset more easily after all tests.

I forgot to say also, I don’t need media library and I need customisable global hotkeys. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@jesus2099 is a Linux user now. Excellent! :sunglasses:

The best players for your requirements are probably DeaDBeeF and Rhythmbox. DeaDBeeF is more similar to foobar2000. Some familiar features are a layout editor, plugins, and fb2k title formatting scripts.

Clementine is well known in the GNU/Linux/BSD world, but it was not maintained for nearly four years. Now it is getting some attention again, so maybe someone will update its interface. Strawberry is a fork of Clementine that adds some new features, but it still has the same old interface. (You can disable the cat photo under Settings → Appearance → Background image.)

I don’t want to install many things to test them, I fear I would leave in place many bogus packages when uninstalling tested players.

If you use a package management GUI, it might remove these automatically. On the command line, you can do it yourself with this command: sudo apt autoremove. You can also also tell APT to remove unused packages when uninstalling an application: apt remove clementine --auto-remove

It’s important to be able to try new software without a worry! :smile:

3 Likes

I moved to Linux several years ago and foobar2000 is the one reason I use WINE. It was a bit of a pain to get the NAS, DSD, hi-res and the USB-DAC to play nice, but all is good now. I have heard good things about DeaDBeeF. Good luck.

2 Likes

For rippers take a look at whipper mainly as it checks against the acuraterip database.This will verify that your rip of the cd matches the rip that someone else has done.

I occasionally use rhythmbox or vlc by dragging and dropping files from the network share and playing an album at a time.

Kodi is also a good option for a full screen media player.
Great option if you have a spare raspberry pi, xbox or a smart tv that can be dedicated to playing music while you work.

You can look at music servers such as dnla servers as well as plex to allow you to store all your music on a nas and share it out to other devices.
There are also web based players such as ampache that you install on your webserver to share your music then all you need is a browser to play music.

1 Like

I’m currently using Clementine for Ubuntu and have found it fairly straight forward. I’ve asked if they would consider adding more grouping options here:
https://groups.google.com/g/clementine-player/c/iPeaLo4mHN4

Just a small update.

I still haven’t fond what I’m looking for.

I am not playing a lot of music on PC but I am still using Audacious.
It’s the closest to foobar2000 simplicity and features I found.

But is still lacking many of its features.
Even tagging files is hardly possible on Audacious.

Apparently DeaDBeeF could be nice but I think I could not easily install it on Raspberry Pi, where I wanted to test it and didn’t find it in my old Debian 10 PC apt, either.
I should install manually but am so lazy, finding a software audio player is not high in my priority list.

I haven’t booted into my Linux install in a bit, but, I was using Lollypop and found it to be good for my needs. I am not sure it ticks all your boxes but I figured I should mention it. Apps/Lollypop - GNOME Wiki!

1 Like

I use Strawberry. Its MB tag reading isn’t perfect but it’s been good enough for me with only minor manual tweaks needed.

If you don’t like the cat you can replace it with a different kitten.

3 Likes

As it is not yet possible in Discourse, I’m trying a poll where you can add your items, to find what is the favourite Linux audio player, here:

Poll: Favourite Linux audio player

• Scroll left and right to see all options
  • You can also add your missing option (try to insert it in alphabetical order)
1 Like

Dunno if you’re still tracking this but I voted. :+1:

Can provide my reasons if you’re interested.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wow, this was a late reply for a zombie thread, lol. Are you still looking for a replacement for foobar2000? I still say use WINE on Linux. I don’t use fb2000 too much anymore, since I’m currently using Roon for a player. But fb2000 & EAC is still my choice for ripping and tagging CDs. YMMV, laters. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It has been requested for inclusion in Debian 13 years ago:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=576975

1 Like

Not really, as I use Pioneer PD-Z74T to listen to music, most of the time, really.
I do use foobar2000 on Windows and Audacious on Linux, even if it has less features than foobar2000.*

* I don’t want to have to use an emulator (Wine) or to install something without apt (DeaDBeeF).

Doesn’t look like this will be in Debian repos. Not only is there this open packaging request chaban linked to, but also the author said it is unlikely: [Question] Why DeaDBeef is not in the official repositories of Ubuntu yet? · Issue #2407 · DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef · GitHub

But deadbeef offers a universal deb package for Debian and Ubuntu on the download page (DeaDBeeF - The Ultimate Music Player). Had you tried that?

2 Likes

Oh thanks @chaban!

When I was told it had already been refused, I went looking for the exact refusal reasons and found this great summary of how submitting packages to Debian works and then I searched through that RFP base and found the same ticket (sorry I didn’t notice your post before)!!

So I will certainly read that DeaDBeeF in Debian #576975 RFP, very soon!
I’m interested in understanding that kind of things.

No I’m too lazy to do that.
And well, actually I’m fine with Audacious. It is quite good and I have a very limited use of an audio player (like once a month, or so).
I just use foobar2000 on my office PC when I need to do something more advanced stuff (convert) than just play.

But that is not a big effort! dpkg -i and it’s done. Install is probably easier than anything on Windows. But I don’t want to dissuade you from using Audacious, because I use it myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like