Looking for a foobar2000 equivalent on Linux

I figured I’d mention Tauon Music Box. It’s a minimalist music player for Linux and Windows, with the following features that may be of interest:

• CUE sheet support
  • Minimalist, tab-based UI using “pinned” playlists that you choose
  • Smart playlist (though not as good for genre groups like I have with MusicBee’s tag hierarchies)
  • Listen tracking to ListenBrainz, Last.fm and Majola
  • Uses Picard for tagging and auto-updates files opened in Picard via Tauon, once Picard is closed
  • Star ratings in a condensed 10-star rating system (basically up to 5 stars with half-star ratings)

I’m not one for minimalism but it’s probably the best minimalist looking music player right now. I don’t know if OP wants something that integrates to the desktop environment, but it’s definitely a desktop-oriented UI. There is no auto-updating/adding like MusicBee and Quod Libet has though you can refresh the database and load it in the current playlist for an equivalent effect.

Unfortunately it can’t do CD stuff but I don’t know of any Linux player or application that can do this. Whipper is the go-to for CD ripping in Linux, and it has MusicBrainz integration, but if you have a drive that the underlying cdparanoia library doesn’t like, like I do? Just get EAC or dbPoweramp and run it in WINE.

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that too!

for “CD stuff”:
I use the multimedia suite K3b for pretty much everything. It includes several external (command line) programs like cdrdao, cdrecord, mkisofs, transcode… (but you may need to install some of these applications separately)

2 Likes