Interpretation of series numbering guidelines

In the discussion here, it became clear that me and another editor are interpreting the guidelines around series numbering differently, and both interpretations are arguably consistent with what the guideline says, so I wanted to get further opinions.

The key point seems to be in understanding the final example:

The Piano Works 3 (no volume/part name, so no separator needed)

regarding when to add a comma before the part information. Taken in isolation, I would assume that “volume/part name” refers to an actual title of the volume or part, so that if there was such a title, the comma rule would kick in to give something like The Piano Works, 3: The Third Part of the Piano Works. However, in the context of the other examples, it seems like “volume/part name” actually refers to the word Volume or Part etc., so even if there was a subtitle there should be no comma in this example.

I always had the second interpretation (i.e. comma before Part, Volume etc., no comma if there’s just a number or numeral, independent of whether the part/volume is titled or not), but the first one is also pretty reasonable.

2 Likes

Having a comma (such as The Piano Works, 3: The Third Part of the Piano Works) would seem off to me and I’d expect The Piano Works 3: The Third Part of the Piano Works here. The volume/part name refers indeed to the “Volume X” or “Part X” wording, but I can totally see how that’s very ambiguous. Does anyone have any good suggestions for an improved wording?

1 Like

My suggestion:

When a release or track uses a word (e.g. vol., volume, pt., and part) in its title to separate its name and its position within a series, insert a comma before that word. If that word is already preceded by another punctuation mark, such as a question mark (?) or an exclamation point (!), do not insert a comma.

Changes:

• Deleted the clause “when a release or track is part of a series” because when a release/track has a “Volume X” or “Part X” formulation, it already implies that the release/track is part of a series. That clause is redundant.
  • Avoided using “title” to refer only to the part before “Volume X”, since “Volume X” is very much part of the title.
  • Changed “use that mark instead of the comma” to “do not insert a comma” because the default behavior should be to submit whatever is written on the cover, and if the title on the cover already has ! or ?, you don’t need to tell editors to use that mark since they already have.

Further suggestions:

• If a release does have a title “The Piano Works, 3”, should the editor remove the comma? If so, we need to make it clear.
  • Should we expand this section to also include titles of release groups, works and recordings?

Can we clarify why (or why not) we would insert a comma into the consistently named movie “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”?

(As always, graphic design differs from plain text.)

That looks good to me. I might capitalise Vol., Volume etc. in your list of examples since they would be capitalised in most examples (and maybe change “and” to “or” in this list).

Regarding your further suggestions: personally I would say no to removing commas that are printed, and yes to applying the rule uniformly to all titles (which I think is how most people, and certainly me, interpreted it already). Could the text just say “When a title uses a word…”, or would that not be clear enough?

I finally got to this. I updated Style / Titles - MusicBrainz in two ways:

New text:

When a word such as “volume” (“vol.”) or “part” (“pt.”) is used in a title to indicate its position within a series (of releases, tracks, etc.), insert a comma before that word. If the word is already preceded by another punctuation mark, such as a question mark (?) or an exclamation point (!), keep that mark and do not insert a comma.

Some new examples, with one English example and one French example to show that the “volume” words can be uppercased or lowercased as required by the language.

2 Likes

You say to insert a comma after the word Volume.

• What if the artwork does not have a comma?
  • Why is it necessary to add the comma?
  • Why not leave it as the artwork shows it?
1 Like

The current guideline (which this does not change, just clarifies) says to add it even if the artwork does not have it.

I’m pretty sure the reasoning behind this guideline is that it helps readability by separating the name itself from the part numbering section.

We have moved more towards leaving things as printed in the past (this guideline used to also specify that “Vol.” needed to be expanded to “Volume” and whatnot, which we no longer suggest). It might be that the community will eventually also decide to stop adding a comma at all; I must say I personally do find it more readable and clear with a comma, though.

1 Like

I prefer to follow the printed materials assuming they are consistent. If changes are allowed, where does it stop?

Another example is the removal of ! From “The Final Hurrah!” https://musicbrainz.org/release/3225e121-72b6-4f46-b766-8928d48de800 The ! matters

1 Like

This is getting very off topic, but there’s no guideline mandating removing that - it seems like just a mistake.

Changes will always be allowed (we correct errors, for example), but within a set of limits. In fact, the point of the guidelines is that it specifies which changes are expected to be allowed and suggests by omission that others are not :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Getting back on topic…My view is that the guidelines saying to add a comma in the release titles are not right. For example, If the release titles are printed as:

• “ABC Volume 3”
  • “ABC Volume 4”

then no comma should be added

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll fix it. I have the CD to add as a release.

Another previous topic about Should we still keep Series numbering and add a comma? :wink: