How to get artist image, bio?

I want to get artist image by artist lookup api.

1 Like

AFAIK MusicBrainz doesn’t offer artist images. If someone has added a Wikipedia- or Wikidata link to the artist, informations like “artist image” or “bio” will be pulled from this sources - if available.

If this sources doesn’t have any artist image (respecting the publishing- and other rights) MB also can’t display it.

2 Likes

We’re currently not displaying artist images at all, but you could follow the Wikidata links and try to get the image from there. Make sure to either link back to Commons or print the appropriate attribution.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is there any way to get popular/top artists, tags, releases?

reosarevok, is there any possibility in the future of including artist images in the database, even if it is just fetched from other sources?

@AudioBlip I don’t think that this will happen any soon:

…While we wait for Wikimedia Commons and Creative Commons to take action on this, we will not reinstate artist images or include any images that link to Wikimedia Commons…

5 Likes

Well, this is disappointing. Greedy mugs abusing Creative Commons…

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Getting Wikipedia artist bio via MBID or artist name

IIRC fanart.tv supports MBID lookups for images.

Last.fm is a reasonable source for artist bios but of course there is no disambiguation so you can end up with pages like this… :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.last.fm/music/Revolt/+wiki

There are at least 14 bands with the name Revolt:

Both have APIs where you’ll need to register for an API key.

Has Wikimedia Commons or Creative Commons been in touch with any progression since
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Archive/2019/06#MetaBrainz_sued,_lawsuit_dismissed_with_prejudice,_but_waiting_for_Wikimedia_Commons_to_act

(Juggernaut-sized search engines may well weight the presence of images highly when deciding which music websites to include in search returns.)

1 Like

Nothing has changed, Wikimedia commons is still not safe for us to use. There is nothing we can do about it – perhaps you can file a complaint with Wikipedia?

Sorry!

1 Like

[laughing out loud]

Reading that Wiki thread brought back memories.
Bad memories.
No way am I going for a swim in that cesspool.

Musicbrainz has demonstrated that an online largely volunteer community project can function in a humane and nontoxic manner.
If the squiggle of history does tend towards “humane and nontoxic” then eventually a humane and functional online project that can share litigation-protected images with MB may arise.

Till then I guess folk who want a visually richer music experience will have to learn how to mull up fanart.tv with Kodi or something.

4 Likes