How do i credit an artist

ok thanks for the info

Ah… now I see why you referred to this guy as “my” Craig Ross. Whoops. I see I made a mistake and associated the wrong Craig. My USA geography is a bit ropey - I thought Nashville was near Texas.

I notice you have left a few links in Craig’s edit history. Always good to try and attach these in an edit to the actual artist. They then appear over on the top right. This is especially useful with Wikidata \ Facebook \ etc

i did not rilly know what to add them as so i put them there

ill save what i have for this and maybe you can tell me what else to add and were

Good place to put links when you don’t know. That allows someone else to pick them up later. :slight_smile:

I don’t always know where everything goes so I just give things a good shove until they fit. Here is how I put them in

The aim being that the Home page pointed to his personally created contact page. That Facebook link was also on his home page so I copy\pasted from that one.

I don’t know what RooMusic is, so tweaked that to be “biography” as it seemed to be people talking about him.

1 Like

i think that is what his studio is called. but thats only a gess. was not sure what to put for the place because as he mechons on there he travles

and on another note can you look at this screen shot and make sure it looks right im only adding the one at least for now someone can do the rest

Not sure which I am looking at - Matilda or Port Augusta - but both look fine.

I would try and lift up the credit from Performer to what he actually played. Can you hear the instrument on the track? OR did he sing?

I had a poke around at some of your current edits and all is looking good. I know it took me ages to get my head around how the relationships worked. Recordings \ Works and what was on which side confused me for ages :smiley:

its in the album art list i got it from discogs and put it on musicbrainz

You’ve lost me now… are we looking at the Steve Grace or Slim Dusty Release? Your “edit relationships” example up there is Slim Dusty

i think we lost each other
for the resone i asked you to look at slim was for this https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-daily-examiner/20180118/281844349046157 if you read it tells you that steve worte the song

I understand now. I see that you are making sure that the track on Slim’s album is now correctly credited to Steve. Perfect.

So Steve has a “Work” describing the music he wrote.

Slim has a “Recording” of that work now which looks correctly credited.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for that Slim Dusty album it is full of tracks written by other people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Forward_Looking_Back

I have just done a few tweaks on Slim’s album. I used the tick box at the top to select all the tracks on the left. Then I click “Batch add a relationship to recording” and set Slim as “Lead Vocals” on the tracks.

1 Like

how do i add lead vocals i dont see it there there is only vocals

First you select the top box to VOCALS

Then you can select which vocal type with the list

(I just did this to all the Slim tracks on that album… so you may want to now do this with Steve Grace)

The idea is if the cover only says “vocals” then you select the top box only. But if you can tell what type of vocals, then the list is used to get specific.

It is the same with instruments. The top box lets you set “performer” or “instrument” and the lower box lets you get very specific as to what exactly was played.

1 Like

i dont know what songs had what instruments even the milestone album only tells me stuff for the album not the songs

Yeah - it is rare to get proper details at a song level. So put in what you can. For example - Steve sings on all of his tracks, so that credit is easy to add to all tracks.

Does he always play guitar on them? As you have the albums to listen to this helps.

On the Discogs page for the Steve Grace album I look at the artwork and see this

So that tells you who is playing across the album. Where it was recorded, the engineers, photographers, etc.

Here is where it gets a little tricky. You don’t actually know who played on which track. Sometimes a pattern can be found due to the source of the recordings. Or the good guess that Craig Ross probably played on his own tracks. Other times it will just be down to listening. For example that Harmonica should be easy to spot.

I’ll often err on the side of “too many” and add all of the credits to ALL of the tracks. (See @Freso comment below - no guessing) Then sit down and listen carefully to the album again. During that listen I’ll try and drop obvious missing instruments.

ok thanks atm im adding things that would not change across the album like engineers

If you really don’t want to commit to making a choice, then you place it into the “Release Group” credits at the bottom of the page. But personally I think it is better to try and get them on the tracks when possible. Adding a few too many artists is easier to remove the extras than add in the unknown players at a later time.

Really we need to find band biographies and videos for items like this. There are rarely enough details on the actual covers of the exact musicians on each track.

So best effort is the key. We can’t be perfect unless we were actually standing in the recording studio making notes at the time.

Please don’t do this. If you know that they performed on a release, add them at the Release level. If you can confirm they did something on the Recording level then add them there (too, if needed). See User:Freso/Editing principles - MusicBrainz Wiki for more of my reasoning on this.

1 Like

Okay… I see the logic with that. But one little bit I don’t get - why only add the details at Release level? Shouldn’t that be Release Group level? Otherwise someone has to re-enter the credits for CD, Cassette, LP, different countries.

So in the above example you’d add Steve Grace as Lead Vocals at Recording Level and maybe the drummer as he’s be easy to spot but no one else as you can’t be sure 100%? Not even the guitars?

2 Likes

atm i can not listen to the music due to being late at night here ill try looking in to it tomorrow if i can

freso are you saying to add the engineers and things like them to the album instead of the song