Good reasons you've given for Merging Recordings : A Collection

Added a scintilating reason for Merging a Recording in an Edit Note?

Add it here and let others appreciate the elegance.

1 Like

Here are the easiest ones I can think of:

• Two or more recordings sharing an AcoustID (or several)
  • Two or more recordings sharing an ISRC
1 Like

Various same year editions of the same album.

Various editions of the same album with no reasons to suspect clean version, remix, new recording or whatnot.

2 Likes

Same per compilation liner notes (e.g. when the compilation says “From the album…”)

Citation of curated discographies either online (such as http://www.hankwilliamsdiscography.com ) or in printed form ( e.g. The Music of Bill Monroe by Ivan Rosenberg and Charles K. Wolfe).

1 Like

“I have both tracks”

Edit: jokes aside, I could append links to spectrograms, not a big deal, but what is realistically the best retention time on image hosting sites? A few months? A year tops? That would only produce proofs with expiration date.

2 Likes

I have ear checked all tracks for these 2 recordings.

I do this too. :slight_smile:
And even when I have ripped both, I have several times listened to two recordings simultaneously in Audacity to clear out some doubts.

7 Likes

My very frequent recording merge note: “Similar duration, same/sole AcoustID” (I try to avoid merging when there are a lot of AcoustIDs involved because it’s hard to be sure which release had which AcoustID.

Occasionally I also add something noting that there may be an additional AcoustID which seems to be a one-off with no other data connected to it.

2 Likes

Whoops. I meant to reply to this a while back, but guess I never got around to it. Just saw it in my forum bookmarks again just now. Anyway:

I’d like to think most of my edit notes are fairly decent:
https://musicbrainz.org/search/edits?auto_edit_filter=&order=desc&negation=0&combinator=and&conditions.0.field=editor&conditions.0.operator=%3D&conditions.0.name=Freso&conditions.0.args.0=229784&conditions.1.field=type&conditions.1.operator=%3D&conditions.1.args=74

Whenever I post something on an image host or a pastebin, I try to immediately also archive it in the Internet Archive. I feel like this should provide a pretty good retention time. (Also, images I’ve uploaded to Imgur (non‐anonymously) a couple of years ago are still available, so depending on your image host, several years doesn’t seem unreasonable for this, even without additional archiving…)

4 Likes