Editing meme songs, and dealing with sample, mashup, and remix relationships

so, I’ve recently began treading into unfamiliar waters while editing meme songs and releases, and I’d like some input on a couple entities I’ve recently edited. First off, there’s this:

the track on Bandcamp here, for reference.

there’s a ton of samples and vocals from other songs and memes, most of which I’ve added, and all that is mashed up into “Through the Fire and Flames” by DragonForce (with several lyrical and musical edits). I don’t think I’d call it a mashup though, since most of the original song is there, both vocals and music; I don’t even know if there’s a word for this type of remix/edit/mashup/whatever yet. I’ve currently got it set as a remix of “Through the Fire and Flames”, since I think it’s been changed too much to be just an edit.

I’m still in the middle of working on the other thing, but it’s Neil Cicierega’s “Mouth” series of albums. I’ve gotten the first two done, (“Mouth Sounds” and “Mouth Silence”), save for some sampled television end card jingles in one song.

edit: I’ve got a couple recording collections for meme remixes and meme samples, and @chaban also has a works collection, Meme. might be helpful to anyone who wants to join the meme editors~

5 Likes

after listening to it i think remix seems like the right move

i added a work for it and linked that to the original TTFAF using “is based on,” but i could see the argument for using “parody version of” there as well

2 Likes

I feel like a parody is a bit more specific; it’d use the same (or at least a similar) instrumentation, just with different lyrics. in this case, since the lyrics are mostly the same, I’d argue it’s not a parody.

I do actually have another question… for recording-to-recording “sample” relationships, would I specify what was sampled, or what the sample was used for? i.e. if someone takes the lead vocals from a song and uses it as percussion or something, would I specify a vocal sample or an instrument sample?

Alright, I think I’ve gotten far enough to start asking about the Mouth albums. I’ve gotten about as far as I can with the first 3, and what I didn’t know, I’ve added annotations and fixme tags (at least for what I know that I don’t know :wink:)

Haven’t finished Mouth Dreams yet, but I plan on getting that soon™ :grin:

I also wanted to re-bring up my question from my last post, if anyone knows:

1 Like

Last one in the series so far~

also wanted to bring up a general rule I’ve been using so far and get some input:

the difference between a mashup and a musical sample in a mashup

• it’s a sample if it’s any of the following:
    • less than like, 15 seconds of music
    • less than like, 75% of a single verse/chorus
  • otherwise, it’s a mash-up

(this of course doesn’t include samples of speeches, narration and other spoken word, which are obviously samples) :wink:

granted, this might wreak some havoc on stuff like DJ Earworm’s “United State of Pop” mashups of like, 25 or more pop songs. I dunno, just an idea~

2 Likes

Oh heavens. I’m so happy that I’m not the only person out there with enough screws loose to want to add meme-tastic material to MB.

Bless you and your work for the memes. Allow me to step further into the realm of insanity by introducing a memetic bootleg game rip Release, as if everything else we’ve been dealing with up until now wasn’t improper enough:

For the time being, I just want to draw attention to the fact that I’ve created this abomination, and welcome any and all editors that want to help me make sense of it. There are even tracks that play in the ROMhack itself that aren’t represented or present in the SPC download, and there’s some distinct tracks with the same story on the youtube post of the soundtrack, and I’m just… at a loss as to how to proceed. Anyone that wants to mess with that release has my blessing, be it adding relationships or just straight-up editing the medium and recordings.

3 Likes

oh wow, that is beautifully terrible, I love it! :joy::ok_hand:
hearing Tail Cave from Link’s Awakening gave me a good dose of nostalgia~

one thing I might add in this case is a stand-alone recording for the YouTube video. I’ve done this for a couple hololive releases that were first released as videos. granted, that may be a lot more work in this case… :sweat_smile: I would only do this if the video is from an official source, which it looks like it is in this case.

on a side note, something I’ve also been doing is creating new standalone recordings for meme samples. I’ve been collecting them here and with the meme sample tag. if you want, I could add you as a collaborator on my collection~

and don’t worry, we’ve had our fair share of insanity as of late… see also the forum posts

4 Likes

I’ve come across an (or rather multiple) issue(s). That or I’m overthinking things.

Case 1 and 2 actually involve the same recording (video)
Among other things it samples Trump dancing in the Saturday Night Live parody of Hotline Bling

How would one go about adding this information? I see multiple options:

• Add Trump as visual appearance
  • Relate it to the (yet to be added) Hotline Bling parody
    There is no relationship specifically for video samples. Would be using the sample relationship fine or is it for audio samples only?

This question doesn’t come out of nowhere. I’ve recently added a video recording whose audio portion is sampled in another recording of the same release (and several other recordings). And now I can’t help but wonder if the sample relationship is correctly used that way.
    An audio-only version doesn’t exist as far as I know.

You could say as opposed to that kid I do need help :smiley:

I guess I could do both but doesn’t that go against the spirit of the relationships style guide?

BTW

Trump’s inauguration speech was also being sampled (hence the title “America First”) but that one was pretty straightforward to add by the means of a simple “contains samples” relationship or should I add the actual speech too? :stuck_out_tongue:

The other sample I’ve identified is audio only but since it’s from a movie by a character that’s actually also a real person I’m not sure if the “contains samples” relationship should be related to the (voice) actor or the person portrayed (or a “fake” character)

See also

Case 3 involves Trump again (I can see you rolling your eyes :upside_down_face:)
Probably not a hard one but I’m curious if people think it’s bullshit before I add more of them.

If you watch the entire video you’ll notice a couple more “appearances” (face swaps). Those I don’t plan to add, only the original ones.

4 Likes