The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

oh, don’t worry, you’ve still gotta worry about space, just a different kind of space…
laughs in 1TB SSD in my laptop just to store all my games and media :sweat_smile:

2021-12-01

from my small music collection, possibly a few duplicates. definitely not 2,000 releases tho…

1 Like

I can’t stop thinking about this post… :fishing_pole_and_fish::joy:

2 Likes

Oh man, work got in the way of me adding the fish ‘release’… some people will be happy to know :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried to find the audio distortion hack videos but now all I could find is heaps of videos of people modifying it to work with Alexa hahaha. Billy lives on!!

Oh my lord, you’ve reviewed so many!! This is the first time I’ve missed something on CritiqueBrainz - where is the subscribe button :heart_eyes:

Link to reviews

How do you find the strength!!

Ooh interesting that others do this!

I don’t hold onto the CD’s, I scan and lossless rip them, and then they go back to a op/charity shop. But I have also had issues, files corrupted, unlikely to be found anywhere ever again :sob:

I upload some to less legal sharing platforms, which I consider a victimless crime as none of these can be purchased from the artist anymore, but I don’t think that means they stick around/someone else actually holds onto them :cry:

I never though of the IA… guessing compilations are impossible to get on there though, I’m sure most songs still have interested parties/are making someone $.

you mean like this?

this has been stuck in my favorites for ages~ doesn’t show how they did it, but it’s a great vid anyways~

2 Likes

Space madness…

All jokes aside - I find these budget and freebie releases quite interesting (I’m a slut for any promotional material) and they can be a really great way of expanding your collection for very little $£€ - so if i can help guide individuals through the minefield then I shall do that.

1 Like

also, I’m sure @aerozol will love this Wiki I found:

3 Likes

haha I actually noticed that just before you posted, because I saw the ‘singing fish’ tag and thought ‘someone’s having a laff’, but then there really was more than one release in there :joy:

That Wiki is brilliant haha. But where are the 600DPI packaging scans, cat. no’s and barcodes. Guess Everything has to be added to MB after all :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I figured, “it’s a meme, and I add memes… it just makes sense!” :wink:

yeah, I had to go to eBay to find a barcode for Travis… “now zoom, enhance! right there!” :joy:

the only issue is, I don’t know what the “fun release” tag is, if there is one…

edit: decided to make yet another release collection for this.

2 Likes

you guys are going to be the death of me. i’m gonna end up spending $50 on a jingle bells fish just to scan the box

2 Likes

Yes, MB can be an excuse for some guilty pleasures. :wink:

4 Likes

not to turn this into the singing fish thread but… oops, my hand slipped

Big Mouth Billy Bass - MusicBrainz
Travis the Singing Trout - MusicBrainz
& others… 1 2

the autism hyperfocus kicked in and i messaged this wonderful soul asking if they had any information/box scans/etc. im particularly excited about the russian knockoffs like this one

hope i get a response… still seems like a very active channel

2 Likes

well, welcome to FishBrainz, I guess…

all seriousness aside, I don’t know if that’s beautiful or cursed, but I love it either way~ :joy:

5 Likes

To be honest I want a 'brainz project for like everything - but then I realise that I would have to spread my time between all of them!

2 Likes

In case you didn’t see it yet, there is a Brainz fantasy list. :wink:

1 Like

Theres some great ones in there!

Moving away from singing fish and dreams, whats your favourite mechanism in MusicBrainz.

Mine has to be the ability to merge items together, its great - it means nothing gets lost but reduces duplication!

2 Likes

Mine is really, with no hesitation, collection highlighter.

It’s really THE reason of using MB for me: seeing all what I already have (recordings, mostly), including in albums I don’t have.
Seeing all things that I might want to acquire (see why with my second favourite feature) without adding redundancy.

It is not a genuine MB feature (it’s a user script), but it’s thanks to MB. And I really hope one day it will be part of MB, to save my maintenance time. And also to enable this, even on browsers that don’t support user scripts, like most mobile browsers.

My second favourite feature is ratings!

2 Likes

the CAA!! mixed w/ the funkey illustrated records script it just makes me so happy. collecting pretty cover art was a big reason i started collecting music

other than that i really like tags :3 the ability to cancel edits is nice too

4 Likes

Did you know that @teethfairy makes great music??

@uZer42 (uZer42) isn’t on the forums but their current project is great as well: Stream null.part music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud

2 Likes

omg thank you!! my mom is a classical musician so ive spent my whole life making music that sounds as little like anything any she would play as i can haha

1 Like

Haha nice, I have a friend who has followed a very similar path, but more down the noisy route :stuck_out_tongue:
I think his mom digs it though!

1 Like