Does the presence of SID codes justify a separate release for this specific CD?

This is the 1990 German Little Mermaid soundtrack CD, which I have contributed to and I am thinking it might need to be split into two different releases. The reason I’m saying this is because according to Discogs (here and here) there’s an original version from 1990 and a repress that looks exactly the same but has SID codes. Now, I know that such differences don’t usually justify a separate release here on Musicbrainz but in this case I think an exception could potentially be made. The original version came out in 1990 and SID codes weren’t used until 1993/4, which means the repress must have been released in the time period between 1993/4-1997 (in 1998 the dubbing got changed so it can’t have been released later). If that is the case, then it means there’s two different German CDs from two different years, which, as far as I know, is something that does justify a separate release. Please, let me know what you think.

4 Likes

For starters, here and here are two threads where people have been mulling over the same problem.

That’s a pickle indeed and I do not have a strong opinion on it. One could argue that they should be a different releases as they have different release dates, but there does not seem to be a lot else to justify that decision.

1 Like

id argue yes these are two seperate releases, give your reasoning in both the annotation and the edit note (as some people will only look at one or the other).

from what I understand different SID codes means different pressings, usually at different times. When you talk about big name releases (like this one from Disney) then you could be looking at hundreds of different pressings as Disney requested re-pressings over the years.

Sometimes the repressings will be obvious - new logos, different legal language etc. but some of them are indistinguishable aside from the information stored on the discs (like the matrix, sid codes or for vinyl pressing/runout marks etc.).

It’s all very complicated, but yes in short - I’d create new, explain why.

3 Likes

If ONLY the SID is different, then many would just leave that as part of the same release. It is not as extreme here as at Discogs as a SID or no SID just just either side of 1994.

The important bits to check is 100% the same on the artwork. All those little copyright details on the rear. Little things like Rights Societies on the CD itself.

Where some editors will split on MB is a different factory listed in the matrix. If it is clear that one if from EMI SWINDON and another EMI UDEN then a split will happen.

I’ve looked at a few too many German CDs from the 1990s. Looking at your Release I see the silvered inner ring. If yours is clear then it would make a new release due to the visual difference.

German CDs of the 1990s did make their way across large parts of Europe due to the lack of manufacturing in many countries. As that is a German Language CD then it is certainly a German release too. So you date what you know. :slight_smile:

Thank you guys for your feedback. To be honest, I don’t have a particularly strong opinion on the matter and I normally wouldn’t even think about it, but looking at other countries gives me the impression it’s not just a Germany thing. There does seem to have been a tendency to re-release the Little Mermaid soundtrack in other Europeean countries, such as France, as Discogs has a 1990 CD and a 1993 one (the latter of which is on Musicbrainz as well); there’s also a 1994 Hungarian CD, which if I were to guess, I’d say it’s possibly a reissue/repress of an earlier 1989/1990 CD. To be honest, I’m also suspecting such soundtrack re-releases may be connected with a possible re-release of the VHS of the film, as well as the airing and the VHS of the TV series, which aired from 1992 to 1994.

1 Like

yep very possible, as a babe of the 90s I recall how prevalent The Little Mermaid was (along with The Lion King and 101 Dalmations) - there was a lot of demand for any merchandise relating and the house of mouse definitely loves money.

1 Like

Actually, I am the one who added the medium picture to the release. That was before I thought about this matter, so I don’t what the person who created this release had in their possession. But according to the Discogs pictures, the two releases are almost identical, except the presence of the SID codes and the matrix text which reads “MADE IN GERMANY” on the 1990 CD and “MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC” on the repressing.

The various examples you show of this CD are all very different looking CDs. Text of the discs vary a lot, and also how that inner ring looks changes. These are fairly clear visual differences that MB focuses on.

This is always a puzzle. You likely have a 1990 CD as it says “Germany” and not “W.Germany”. Anything later would have SID codes (i.e. post 1994).

Do you have the same printing error on your copy?No error - I had wrong page open… :laughing:

If it was me I would have made a new release as the person who linked that Discogs page is pointing at something with a different manufacturer. misread the link… same factory.

Never a problem having “too many” releases as that way it is clear yours is pure if all the artwork is from the same source.

1 Like

That will be due to the change of ownership of the factory. I’m one of the editors who would have made a new release, but many others would have kept it the same release as it is still same production line that pressed it.
That text morphed around a few times over the decades. It is likely still PMDC as they pressed the same thing into the 1990s. Not a “repress” because someone changes how the print on a matrix.

1 Like

Yes, it’s because they’re all from a different country but they all contain the same tracks with the dubbing of the country they were released at. Obviously, they wouldn’t be put in the same release group, if they were to be added to Musicbrainz, I just used them as an example of soundtrack reissues/re-releases.

What printing error?

Sorry, I had too many pages open. Confused with something else.

Looking at the two discogs links on your release page I see no reason to make a new release. As long as your art is a perfect match to that rear cover you are fine.

Those German factories knocked out the same disks for many years. Often the factory can change ownership and still have the same artwork printing. The change from MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC to MADE IN GERMANY is not really a “repress”. It is just change of text pressed on a matrix. Still the same factory owned by the same people.

Some of these CDs get pressed for decades without changes. Discogs can be a little too trigger happy at times at shouting “repress”. (And I am a fussy manufacturing details addict).

I’d just leave it as you have. :slight_smile:

2 Likes