As per usual, I’m struggling with how to enter remixes. https://mmzrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-kid-marscat-remixes consists of two Secret Chiefs 3 songs that have been remixed by Kid MarsCat.
Well, it’s more complicated than that. The two original songs are by SC3 satellite bands UR and Ishraqiyun, respectively, and the remixes contain performances by Nothingnæss Præsence and 964 Outsidr, which appear to be distinct roles performed by Kid MarsCat.
Here’s some relevant text from the Bandcamp page:
On this release we feature Kid MarsCat’s two semi-official* remixes of the Secret Chiefs 3 songs “Personae: Halloween” (originally by UR) and “Bereshith” (originally by Ishraqiyun), with additional arrangements, instrumentation and production by her, as performed by Nothingnæss Præsence and 964 Outsidr.
Both of these remixes were built from the Musica Practica stems released by SC3 in 2017–2018, which allow this non-commercial release to be featured and shared here.
I wish the MusicBrainz documentation were more explicit about remixes (and about many other things ), but my understanding from threads like Album + remix style guide is that a remix should generally be credited to the original artist.
I’d appreciate feedback about whether I entered this release correctly.
- I credited the release to Secret Chiefs 3 (like Bandcamp does).
- I titled the release The Kid MarsCat Remixes (like Bandcamp does).
- I credited the new recordings to UR and Ishraqiyun (like the original recordings do).
- I shortened the recording titles to Personae: Halloween (Æsch mix א) and Bereshith (Digital Digital Digital Forever mix) (dropping the Nothingnæss Præsence and 964 Outsidr prefixes).
- I gave the recordings “remix of” relationships pointing to these Personae: Halloween and Bereshith recordings.
- I gave the recordings “samples from” relationships pointing to the MUSICA PRACTICA *Geek Pack Two*: Halloween and MUSICA PRACTICA *Geek Pack One*: Bereshith releases.
- I gave both recordings “remixer” relationships linking to Kid MarsCat.
- I gave the recordings “performer” relationships linking to Nothingnæss Præsence and 964 Outsidr, respectively.
- I initially started adding additional “producer” and “instruments” relationships linking to Nothingnæss Præsence and 964 Outsidr, but then created an edit to remove them after deciding that I’d interpreted the text incorrectly, and that those relationships should probably point at Kid MarsCat if they’re added.
The one part that doesn’t sit well with me is how the new release group is now listed on the Secret Chiefs 3 artist page alongside the other EPs that were actually released by SC3. The only way to tell that this isn’t an actual SC3 release seems to be by clicking through to see the remix credits on the individual tracks.
In this case, the release has at least been acknowledged by the original artist. Here’s the footnote for the “semi-official” asterisk in the Bandcamp text:
[ * – semi-official as of 2020/11/07 in the sense that Secret Chiefs 3 shared and praised the release on their Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/secretchiefs3/posts/10164323688320015 ]
Part of me still wonders if the release should instead be credited to Kid MarsCat (since that’s, you know, the person who actually released it!), but doing that while preserving the title The Kid MarsCat Remixes feels pretty odd.