A jewel case will typically include a booklet, the front of which is the front of the release, and a back sheet including spines. It is not entirely clear how to map scans of these to the MusicBrainz cover art types.
- Should the front image also be marked as booklet? I think it makes sense considering that we use multiple choice types.
- Should then the back of the booklet also be marked as back? Probably not. In some cases it’s nearly identical to the other back, though, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to mark it as such.
- Most people would probably not scan this, but I like to scan the backside of the back sheet. You could argue for marking it as back along with the actual back side, but that’s probably not a good idea. I usually mark it as other.
- Should the back be marked as both back and spine, assuming the entire sheet is scanned? I think so, but it probably isn’t what you would expect from an imaged marked spine.
- Any recommendations on order? The how to notes that the order has an impact in some cases. I think a front to back ordering (front of booklet, inside of booklet, back of booklet, innermost side of back sheet, back, medium) makes sense. Maybe the medium should be moved inbetween the booklet and the back sheet.
These are just some thoughts of mine. I think the first question might me the most controversial. If you agree or disagree, please tell me your thoughts!