Cool uses for MusicBrainz data

Many of us get some kind of satisfaction from entering data. The essential “first level” data, i.e. releases and their tracklists, has an immediate use in tagging music files. “Second level” data (other data and relationships to other entities) is… nice to look at. You can also tag your files with it in some cases, but even if you do it seems difficult to actually find a use for it locally.

Do you have any ideas what this data can be used for, other than simply displaying it? Any cool applications or visualizations that you use or have used? Any ideas for what could be? One cool use previously linked in the blog: 6 Degrees of Vince Gill. I’m interested both in stuff like this and more useful stuff.

5 Likes

One project I think of reading this is
http://www.bandtoband.com/
Which is somewhat similar to the application you already linked.
However, they are rather strict and allow only official (former) band members, not contributors to single tracks, to connect bands who shared artists to each other.

Another one is

which is a database for finding samples that have been used in recordings.

I know @Quesito and @loujin are doing data visualisations based on MB data. I’m also in the planning stage of my own data visualisation project right now. See e.g., @loujin’s project:
https://loujine.github.io/musicbrainz-dataviz/

Some of the data also gets used for various academic purposes. I know a lot of the Turkish and Indian related Work attributes were added because some of the UPF-MTG students were doing analysis work on that (@alastairp might have a link to any publications or anything that came out of that).

Also, combined with ListenBrainz and AcousticBrainz data, we will hopefully see more interesting projects pop up too, combining 2 or 3 of the datasets together. (E.g., recommendation engines based on who produced the music?)

Speaking of, note that LB, AB, CritiqueBrainz, AcoustID, FanArt.tv, … are all essentially “3rd party” services building on top of MusicBrainz, utilising MusicBrainz’s unique identifiers. (Cover Art Archive also, somewhat, but since the coupling between CAA images and MusicBrainz Releases happen in the MusicBrainz database itself, not really. A project similar to CAA could have easily been made decoupled from MusicBrainz though, similar to how LB, AB, CB, AcoustID, and FanArt.tv works: by internally using MBIDs as external identifiers. (In fact, FanArt.tv and CAA are basically functionally the same, just with differing project goals.))

5 Likes

Hi @August_Janse! This is the post I wrote about the data visualization work I proposed and am attempting (Although have just begun as I was busy with higher priority MeB work). @loujin is much farther into the process of some really cool visual representations. Is this type of data visualization something your are interested in? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Cxaxukluth: Thanks, but I’m looking mainly for services that use MB. WhoSampled is a very useful database, but much of the data could (and should) be replicated for display on MB.

@Quesito: Looks cool! Definitely looking forward to seeing how it works out.

@Freso: Thanks for the summary! I’m very happy to hear that the data has been used for academic purposes. Also very, very excited for LB and AB.