Community Cleanup #2: Mahler

Hi all!

After a very successful first project, it’s time for the second Classical Community Cleanup! The community vote decided that we should give a hand to our good old Gustav Mahler. Let’s make this as successful a month as September was!

Remember: if you have any questions, just ask! I’m hoping for this thread to see a lot of activity with editors both asking and answering questions.

Tools:

What to work on:

• Review the existing works to make sure there are no duplicates and the info looks correct, and add any missing works (keep in mind while it is perfectly ok to add lost works, it’d be good to specify they’re lost so that people don’t accidentally use them on recordings).
  • Check the release list for anything that doesn’t follow the classical guidelines. Not only that should be fixed, but that’s a good sign of the recording and relationship info being incomplete too.
  • Check the recording list. The only recordings that should be here by the end of the cleanup are of Mahler himself as a performer (probably mostly this piano roll album). Anything else being here should have performer relationships added to it if missing, then the artist credits for the recording should be changed to list the main performers (you can use the relevant script for that). Try to fix the whole release the recording is on, even if it’s not all by Mahler! But in the case of a very large compilation, it’s always acceptable to fix only the Mahler content on it.
  • Add missing Mahler recordings! If you have enough info to add a Mahler release we’re missing, that’s always useful. Just make sure to try to add as much info as possible from the get go, so we don’t have to clean that addition up as well :slight_smile:

If you add all the possible info to a release, please set the data quality to High too! Only do this if you’re confident you’ve added all the possible data (you have the release, or at least a full booklet, in front of you and you have added all relationships, including engineers, producers and the like).

5 Likes

Looks like a few symphony movements are using the “symphony” work type when they shouldn’t, at least

2 Likes

Just to keep score: :slight_smile:

2361 recordings
11866 tracks
924 releases
720 release groups

Symphony no. 1 in D major “Titan”: I. Langsam. Schleppend: 95
Symphony no. 2 in C minor “Resurrection”: I. Allegro maestoso: 114
Symphony no. 3 in D minor, Part I: I. Kraftig. Entschieden: 108
Symphonie Nr. 4 in G-Dur: I. Bedächtig. Nicht eilen - Recht gemächlich: 68
Symphony no. 5 in C-sharp minor: I. Trauermarsch (In gemessenem Schritt. Streng. Wie ein Kondukt): 92
Symphonie Nr. 6 in a-Moll: I. Allegro energico, ma non troppo. Heftig, aber markig: 65
Symphony no. 7 in E minor “Lied der Nacht”: I. Langsam – Allegro risoluto, ma non troppo: 76
Symphony no. 8 in E-flat major “Symphony of a Thousand”: Part II. Closing Scene from Goethe’s Faust: 62
Symphony no. 8 in E-flat major “Symphony of a Thousand”: Part II. Closing Scene from Goethe’s Faust: a. Poco adagio: 27
Symphony no. 9 in D major: I. Andante comodo: 125
Das Lied von der Erde: I. Das Trinklied vom Jammer der Erde: 47
Kindertotenlieder: I. “Nun will die Sonn’ so hell aufgeh’n”: 41
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen: II. “Ging heut morgen übers Feld”: 54

4 Likes

I wanted a better view of recordings and performer credits so I wrote a report thing.

Mahler recordings by work grouped by instrument credits.

It’s kind of useful for spotting recordings with bad or incomplete relationships, or works that should probably have arrangement works.

Query, and the mess of code that dumps it to a file.

4 Likes

With Mahler vinyl releases it is a common case that movements span across TWO tracks that on later CD releases of course are “joined” into a SINGLE track. Sometimes this results in three different recordings, e.g.
Symphony no. 1 in D Major “The Titan”: Feierlich und gemessen (Beginning) 7:55
Symphony no. 1 in D Major “The Titan”: Feierlich und gemessen (Conclusion) 3:30
Symphony no. 1 in D major “Titan”: III. Feierlich und gemessen, ohne zu schleppen 11:23

I’d prefer joining the truncated recordings into the complete recording since they ARE the same recording just split into separate tracks (like stated in the track titles).

Is there a common sense in dealing with this case? Sorry, could not find any hint in the style guides or discussion neither in the issue tracker.

2 Likes

A similar situation we have if excerpts of classical recordings find their way into e.g. “CLASSIX” samplers. I gave it a shot in this edit.

I commented on the edit, but this should not be merged - the recording guidelines specify that. One thing that isn’t too clear by the choice of the word “recording” is that a recording in MusicBrainz is more like a “mix” or “edit”, rather than just the result of the actual act of recording something. These should be linked to the original with the edit relationship.

These are also separate recordings according to the previous definitions. However, since the combination of the two parts equals the longer one, it’s better to use the compilation relationship for these.

That said, I agree that we could use a good way to copy all the relationships from one recording to another for cases like this. I’m not sure if there’s already a userscript for this purpose.

1 Like

Cool feature, thanks!

Well, that’s a bit less obvious. In fact we have two edits of a master tape recording for vinyl and later on they use the original recording, but I see that it is the only way with the given relationship types in rare cases where the “complete” recording is not available.

I was wondering what to do with the Piano Quartet. We currently have it as the one-movement work it mostly ended up being, but there’s apparently a very short fragment of a Scherzo that has been completed as a “second movement” by, at least, Schnittke. Should we have a second “parent” work for the quartet that has the “Piano Quartet in A minor” work as its first movement or?

What we currently have as “Piano Quartet in A minor” should be renamed to “Piano Quartet in A minor: I. Nicht zu schnell”. New masterwork could then be created for both movements. URL-relationships and premiere should be moved to this masterwork. Annotation could explain that recordings typically should be linked only with the first movement.

That’s what I was going to do when I added the scherzo, but I got distracted.

Maybe this should be in the disambiguation? Otherwise I think this sounds good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure if you are able to fit something that makes sense into it. Something on master work should hint to use first movement or it’s too easy to incorrectly select.

Can anyone figure out what this is or should we just remove it? It has a discID, but no real edit history or useful info otherwise.

https://musicbrainz.org/release/29909f22-177f-486f-8edb-7a3834bae7ed

There is this Horvat and Philharmonica Slavonica release that has length of 29:02 for IV. Finale. Sostenuto - Allegro moderato - Allegro energico. Which may be a re-release of die sinfonien: sinfonie nr. 6 a-moll “die tragische” (1993). But was the 1993 release by Line Music Service, Hamburg a 2CD release?

That looks the same as this release, or these, credited to Philharmoica Slavonica and Hartmut Haenchen. I guess it’s an Alfred Scholz thing.

1 Like

I tried looking through https://isrc.soundexchange.com to find any possible matches (based on track name & length) and couldn’t. There are times a little longer (like 29:08) and shorter (like 28:53) but none match. Of course, that presumed the track title matched "Finale. Allegro moderato" which is already 53 pages of results.

How does a release get in to the database with no edit history, anyway? How long ago must this have been added? (having an idea of the date would of course rule out more modern releases). Seems like if we could find the related disc 1, we’d have better luck matching it to something…

Well, the first edit in history is 2003-11, so it must be before that. Probably an auto-import from somewhere, which might mean there’s no matching disc 1.