Symphony no. 8 … 74 +12
Symphony no. 8 …: a. Poco adagio 34 +7
Symphony no. 9 … 141 +16
Das Lied von der Erde: … 53 +6
Kindertotenlieder: … 52 +11
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen: … 63 +9

:grinning:

5 Likes

And a (sortable) list of the top composers. There’s a lot to clean up.

2 Likes

One good thing about having distance from pre-20th century composers is that they are not making many more of them - at the current rate we’ll be finished in just 20 years!

1 Like

:raised_hands: :raised_hands:

1 Like

Cool! How did you compute shittiness and that page?

3 Likes

It’s quite satisfying to see the low shittiness factor on the ones I’ve worked on in the past :grin: (and that zero by Debussy!!!)

1 Like

+1! I’d like to add that to my dataviz notebooks if you don’t mind

1 Like

That’s just (recordings^2)/tracks

Sure, take whatever you think is useful.

Someone who knows more about soundtrack editing (@ListMyCDs.com?) might be able to give me a hand with this soundtrack for “The Gambler”. It’s based on Mahler’s Symphony no. 1, which I’ve stated on the work (see the label page for info), but I’m not sure how to credit the works that are actually using the symphony bits. The credit is “Music Scored and Conducted by Jerry Fielding consisting of adaptations of “Symphony No.1” by Gustav Mahler”.

Separate problem! This production music release has credits like “Ph. Bestion from G. Mahler” (see crappy back cover). There’s info about the specific works used on this production music page.

What should we do with this? What should be the track credits? (I’m thinking they should be changed to Bestion, but with or without the “from X”?). What should happen with the works? New works based on the original compositions? I’m not sure what to do with an “ethnic vocal remix from Symphony no. 4” :smiley:

I started watching the movie on YouTube, there is more Mahler to be discovered, see Main Title
To be continued …

1 Like

I’m unfamiliar with this work but based on the sound clips on label website I would credit Fielding as an arranger and keep Mahler as a composer. I’ve seen additional attribute sometimes used with composer rel but with this work arranger seems to be the best option.

Even though it looks somehow silly I would credit “Bestion from X” as on release. With similar works like “ethnic vocal remix from Symphony no. 4” I usually link them with “catch-all for arrangements” instead of creating a new work for them. These type of works can’t typically be performed twice or by another performer so this should be enough. It’s also hard to define if remixer is an additional composer or an arranger or what the roles are. Work rel types aren’t that suitable for this type of music.

Unfortunate that it doesn’t account for recordings which were actually made by the composer…

It excludes recordings with an artist-recording relationship to the composer.

2 Likes

Well, that’s awesome then!

1 Like

1 monthler:

11 recordings -2350
15228 tracks +3362
1363 releases +439
986 release groups +266

Symphony no. 1… 120 +25
Symphony no. 2… 149 +35
Symphony no. 3… 144 +36
Symphonie Nr. 4… 85 +17
Symphony no. 5… 98 +6
Symphonie Nr. 6… 87 +11
Symphony no. 7… 96 +20
Symphony no. 8… 64 +2
Symphony no. 8…: a. Poco adagio 42 +15
Symphony no. 9… 176 +51
Das Lied von der Erde… 55 +8
Kindertotenlieder… 62 +21
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen… 68 +14

5 Likes

This was great. Thanks everyone! (and extra thanks to @stupidname and @ListMyCDs.com)

I posted a conclusion post with a bunch of stats and whatnot yesterday, but not sure how many here read the blog, so linking it here too:

3 Likes