Can't understand difference between [Worldwide] and [a country]

So, for a while I’ve been adding new Japanese release groups as here:

Because, for example, Japanese CD streaming services and apple music in jp have different naming for both songs and credits. So for all the albums and singles I’ve added there at least two entries:

• original Japanese naming, like here
  • translated naming by worldwide streaming services like Spotify, like here

But then I’ve read this thread and there people say that digital releases available pretty much everywhere should be marked Worldwide even if released on Japanese from Japan.

But what do we do with translated namings? I mean, Spotify and US Apple Music still exists and tracks there are named differently. I thought it needs to be marked as bootleg, but those releases are officials and are not just transliterated titles…

I am pretty sure people ask these questions every single month, but I really want to tag my music right, thank you for understanding… Either way, I will fix all the music I’ve tagged before

1 Like

Releases tagged by different people only mention the official Japanese naming and always ignore the translated and adapted titles on Worldwide services, like here:

so I assume they only fill the most basic info… I am not sure I want to leave it as it is, if I can do more

I usually create 2 releases, one with the Japanese iTunes link and Japan Deezer link if available and one with the official transliterated if found on US iTunes link or Spotify, etc. Until we get alternative track listings available, not much else really can be done right now. It’s okay to have them both as Worldwide, I’d just make sure that the storefront link points to the release that has the same script. Sometimes, even here in the US all we see is the Japanese script release on Spotify. Spotify seems to not be consistent. But the Apple Music & Deezer usually change scripts based on what store front you have. Hopefully one day (there is a ticket for it), we can get alternative tracklistings on releases. Pseudo-release can be used, but it’s mainly for CD releases that don’t have an official transliterated option like you usually can find on digital releases.

4 Likes

WHOA!!! Thank you a lot! That’s a relief…

1 Like

On Latin script transliterated releases, I also usually note that in the disambiguation by adding “official transliterated” to it.

2 Likes

welcome to the party, NaiJi~

I’ve done this several times, and have also seen this done. another example (I forget if I added it or not)

(the pseudo-release is there due to pending edits on the official release)

if it’s a fully transliterated track list (track titles and artists), be sure to add a “Transl(iter)ated track listings” relationship between the two~

1 Like

Heeey, thank you for the warm welcome, people :beers: :sparkles: I followed a bunch of themes, so you’ll probably see me popping up from time to time here and there from now on!

I also want to ask some follow-up questions which are not so important and rather unrelated to the OP, so if it’s a bad practice I will create other threads to not violate anything… I am not really a forum person, I can only compare to stackoverflow and THAT is scary! Either way:

1. I see people usually do not even go to [Edit relationships] page and usually leave recordings as they are, even though for vocaloid releases you can 100% always list their producer as “arranger” and the Vocaloid herself itself as “vocals”. Is it an overkill? It’s probably a silly question, but I always tend to link them this way, like here, for example:
    Release “Eve Vocaloid 01” by Eve feat. 初音ミク - MusicBrainz
    I batch-added Eve as arranger and Hatsune Miku as Vocals. But I am asking because I almost never see people doing that, I’ve started in the first place because of this release I’ve decided to take as an absolute sample for future tagging:
    Release “グレイテスト・アイドル” by Mitchie M feat. 初音ミク - MusicBrainz

2. Is there a way to overthink tagging system on MB? I mean those literal Tags you can upvote and downvote for, they are almost ALWAYS absent, so I spend extra time copypasting genres from some trusted sources like vocadb and such (i am bad at genres). Also I am worried that Release Group and Releases have own tags for each other, so you need to do double work with copypasting all tags from Release Group to each Release in it @@ I mean they are essentially the same thing…

3. Thank you in advance (i probably worry too much about it)

3 Likes

it should be fine to use the same thread, but we do also have the official unofficial off-topic thread, or even IRC and an unofficial Discord where you can also ask questions, if you’d prefer~

on your points:

1. there’s no such thing as overkill here~ :joy:
    one thing I will note, on the first release you linked, I think it’d be more proper to relate Hatsune Miku as just lead vocalist. solo I think implies a particular type of performance, not just that it’s the only one such part (there’s also a bunch of relationship documentation for further reading). other than that, it looks good to me~
  2. I usually only worry about tagging the release group, since all those tags can apply to the releases in the group (unless that release also has tags? idk), at least when you’re grabbing genres with Picard.
    actually, I lied… I do often tag artists and recordings if I get too far into it, or if I’m dealing with a multi-genre compilation… :sweat_smile:
  3. no problemo~ we all probably worry too much about it :wink:
2 Likes

then… I… am going to live on MB 24/7… right?.. haha… ha… :sweat_drops:

I thank you forever!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the madness… there needs to be an addiction clinic. :crazy_face:

I speak as someone who also fills in the tambourine player, mixing engineers, and where it was recorded. MB can be for the completist who wants to document everything… Welcome to the rabbit hole of never ending edits… :rofl:

4 Likes