The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

:scream:

It’s a very cheap hobby so I don’t feel bad when I pick up another for a dollar. We could be collecting jet skis or something… but my stack has gotten a bit large.

You got any gems in particular? This kind of thing is my favourite:

At first glance it seems like it’s telling a sad story of separation. But note that he left her name in so I like to think it was a amicable separation and he still appreciates her input :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Holy smokes on that edit that was completed!

The gems part of it has to be some of the artwork I find. And if I recall one of them still has a Windows XP Media Centre watermark on it :laughing:

I’ll share them once they’re completed

Yes, mine toppled over the other day :grimacing:

2 Likes

Isn’t discord a proprietary app, that you have to install?
Does it have a public log, like https://chatlogs.metabrainz.org ?

you can use Discord in a browser too. I don’t know if you can view a Discord server without an account or not, but they have added functionality for public community servers fairly recently.

I’m actually a tiny bit surprised there’s not already an unofficial MusicBrainz server out there…

while I would love an official MusicBrainz Discord server, I completely understand not wanting to have yet another place for discussion and whatnot, let alone another community to moderate.

2 Likes

Actually, you (MB) would assign moderators. It is a versatile app…it would be a great option for MB to check out again.

ah, what the heck, i’ll throw one out there :wink:

note, this server has no affiliation with metabrainz, musicbrainz, etc. just a fun discord hangout place that might happen to contain some fun off-topic discussion :slight_smile:

i hope this is allowed!

4 Likes

found another strange digital release. I think it’s released as a podcast, but somehow it’s got the album’s tracks interleaved with a spoken “Liner voice”. (yes, it is the same recordings on Spotify, you can like the track “parts”, and the album tracks are then liked as well)

I think it’s a Spotify exclusive, as I couldn’t find it with a quick Google…

even though it’s released as a podcast, I’m thinking it should be another release in the same release group as the album. any thoughts?

3 Likes

I believe it should, but since it includes only previews and not the full songs (at least that’s how it appears on my end) it may count as a promotional release.

1 Like

oh, it’s the full songs. the one-ish minute “parts” are IRyS telling you about the song that just played.

Strange, on my end the songs in-between the parts are only 30 seconds long. I’m using the app, so I’ll see if it’s the same on desktop tomorrow.

It’s still only playing 30 seconds for me on desktop. Could you confirm that the full song plays on your end?

:partying_face:

3 Likes

yeah, I’ve listened to most of the album. I do have Spotify Premium, so that may be the difference…

also, thanks @aerozol, you got me to pick up SAINT PEPSI’s whole Bandcamp discography… :wink:

1 Like

Looks like Spotify plans to continue releasing “Liner Voice” versions of albums:

but now I have a similar problem to the IRyS album.

Ado recently released her album “狂言”, and alongside it a Liner Voice+ version:

This release also has an official playlist version. (It actually shows the full tracks on this one for me ^^) It uses the same tracks from the regular “狂言” release, but the liner notes are taken from another release (not the podcast) which includes only the Liner Voice tracks. I assume that the Liner Voice album would count as a release since it’s a separate entity, but what about the podcast and playlist?

agreed. discogs is used by a lot of collectors, so i like it a lot. ofc i prefer musicbrainz because we have a lot more data, but i use discogs as a primary source for physical releases.

i’ve been going through my favorite artists on discogs and adding all the releases we don’t have. if you look at the number of releases for each album, you can tell where i left off :sob:

there are a few things i think they do better than us, though:
matrix/runout numbers - i’ve only very recently started putting these in the annotation, but it’s pretty important, imo.
the number of releases - this is only a small thing, but i like how from the artist page it only counts the number of official releases in each master. like, if you look at this album, it says “19 releases”, but from her profile, it shows only one, because the rest are bootlegs.

6 Likes

um, hi, can I just post here for no reason and sayI’m happy about fish?

also I’m happy to see others are pleased with the “sillyname” tag :​D

4 Likes

Well which is it? Being happy about fish is a reason.

1 Like

oh yeah, FishBrainz :joy:

sillyname is pretty great!~ although, I did just find several good sillyname variants just now~ I’ve also started the more human-readable silly name myself. I even got some instruments in there~

1 Like

oh, you mean the Awesomename tag? :​D

(ps, everyone, please don’t tag things that are not “sillyname” with the sillyname tag, while things like Recording “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran - Tags - MusicBrainz and Recording “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran - Tags - MusicBrainz both sit on a release that has a sllyname, they themselves are not, in fact sillynamed…)

1 Like

Whats considered to be a sillyname - just indecipherable characters?

2 Likes