The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

By chance anyone getting different track numbers using a-tisket? I just received one from this album id from Spotify 3M98iBFQdEV8nlrZ0e6WWD Is this a known issue?

I see no issue. The Spotify & iTunes releases just aren’t the same release, that’s all. They share the same barcode, but that doesn’t automatically make them the same. Spotify’s release only has 18 tracks; Apple Music’s 20 tracks. They should be added as 2 separate releases. That’s why they have the ignore option at the bottom of a-tisket. Also, separate from this release here, I have seen the API’s screw it up where sometimes the Apple Music release tracklist was duplicated etc, but it’s rare or if a track has been pulled by one service but not another, but when that happens, usually the track numbers match on the service (not total number) & you can see the greyed out track on Apple Music.

2 Likes

This was nixed by staff a while back, not sure if anything has changed :thinking:

another interesting tidbit of music history I just learned about… the “Open-ended Interview” release.

I can’t find this particular one on Al Green’s page though… :wink:

3 Likes

Hell yeah techmoan

Just finished watching one of his Patreon sub rambles :laughing:

1 Like

In other off-topic news.

I visited an “out of town” charity shop (read thrift store) yesterday with my partner. Found that someone had donated probably around 30 local musicians albums all homemade, DIY affairs - lovely. Spent £14 in total, my patient partner just laughed at me as I emerged from the store. “What are those for?” she asked, “archival.” I retored with a silly grin on my face. :grin:

6 Likes

Hmm…wonder why. It’s a great chat application.

Thanks tigerman325!!! When I get back to entering albums I will make sure it doesn’t include the iTunes one…hopefully the import won’t mess up anything.

2 Likes

:scream:

It’s a very cheap hobby so I don’t feel bad when I pick up another for a dollar. We could be collecting jet skis or something… but my stack has gotten a bit large.

You got any gems in particular? This kind of thing is my favourite:

At first glance it seems like it’s telling a sad story of separation. But note that he left her name in so I like to think it was a amicable separation and he still appreciates her input :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Holy smokes on that edit that was completed!

The gems part of it has to be some of the artwork I find. And if I recall one of them still has a Windows XP Media Centre watermark on it :laughing:

I’ll share them once they’re completed

Yes, mine toppled over the other day :grimacing:

2 Likes

Isn’t discord a proprietary app, that you have to install?
Does it have a public log, like https://chatlogs.metabrainz.org ?

you can use Discord in a browser too. I don’t know if you can view a Discord server without an account or not, but they have added functionality for public community servers fairly recently.

I’m actually a tiny bit surprised there’s not already an unofficial MusicBrainz server out there…

while I would love an official MusicBrainz Discord server, I completely understand not wanting to have yet another place for discussion and whatnot, let alone another community to moderate.

2 Likes

Actually, you (MB) would assign moderators. It is a versatile app…it would be a great option for MB to check out again.

ah, what the heck, i’ll throw one out there :wink:

note, this server has no affiliation with metabrainz, musicbrainz, etc. just a fun discord hangout place that might happen to contain some fun off-topic discussion :slight_smile:

i hope this is allowed!

4 Likes

found another strange digital release. I think it’s released as a podcast, but somehow it’s got the album’s tracks interleaved with a spoken “Liner voice”. (yes, it is the same recordings on Spotify, you can like the track “parts”, and the album tracks are then liked as well)

I think it’s a Spotify exclusive, as I couldn’t find it with a quick Google…

even though it’s released as a podcast, I’m thinking it should be another release in the same release group as the album. any thoughts?

3 Likes

I believe it should, but since it includes only previews and not the full songs (at least that’s how it appears on my end) it may count as a promotional release.

1 Like

oh, it’s the full songs. the one-ish minute “parts” are IRyS telling you about the song that just played.

Strange, on my end the songs in-between the parts are only 30 seconds long. I’m using the app, so I’ll see if it’s the same on desktop tomorrow.

It’s still only playing 30 seconds for me on desktop. Could you confirm that the full song plays on your end?

:partying_face:

3 Likes