The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

yeah, I’ve listened to most of the album. I do have Spotify Premium, so that may be the difference…

also, thanks @aerozol, you got me to pick up SAINT PEPSI’s whole Bandcamp discography… :wink:

1 Like

Looks like Spotify plans to continue releasing “Liner Voice” versions of albums:

but now I have a similar problem to the IRyS album.

Ado recently released her album “狂言”, and alongside it a Liner Voice+ version:

This release also has an official playlist version. (It actually shows the full tracks on this one for me ^^) It uses the same tracks from the regular “狂言” release, but the liner notes are taken from another release (not the podcast) which includes only the Liner Voice tracks. I assume that the Liner Voice album would count as a release since it’s a separate entity, but what about the podcast and playlist?

agreed. discogs is used by a lot of collectors, so i like it a lot. ofc i prefer musicbrainz because we have a lot more data, but i use discogs as a primary source for physical releases.

i’ve been going through my favorite artists on discogs and adding all the releases we don’t have. if you look at the number of releases for each album, you can tell where i left off :sob:

there are a few things i think they do better than us, though:
matrix/runout numbers - i’ve only very recently started putting these in the annotation, but it’s pretty important, imo.
the number of releases - this is only a small thing, but i like how from the artist page it only counts the number of official releases in each master. like, if you look at this album, it says “19 releases”, but from her profile, it shows only one, because the rest are bootlegs.

6 Likes

um, hi, can I just post here for no reason and sayI’m happy about fish?

also I’m happy to see others are pleased with the “sillyname” tag :​D

4 Likes

Well which is it? Being happy about fish is a reason.

1 Like

oh yeah, FishBrainz :joy:

sillyname is pretty great!~ although, I did just find several good sillyname variants just now~ I’ve also started the more human-readable silly name myself. I even got some instruments in there~

1 Like

oh, you mean the Awesomename tag? :​D

(ps, everyone, please don’t tag things that are not “sillyname” with the sillyname tag, while things like Recording “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran - Tags - MusicBrainz and Recording “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran - Tags - MusicBrainz both sit on a release that has a sllyname, they themselves are not, in fact sillynamed…)

1 Like

Whats considered to be a sillyname - just indecipherable characters?

2 Likes

I would say Ed Sheeran is a silly name - but maybe that is just personal opinion.

Looks like MB may need a Silly Name Committee for contentious silliness.

More importantly - is there a Fish tag? Or would that, by definition, become silly? :crazy_face:

4 Likes

he is the human ham (something that I heard somewhere and has always stuck with me)

Who put The The in as a silly name? That is a quality name of a band designed specifically to mess up alpha sorters who want it to be The, The in sort order.

This is why we need a Silliness Committee

I also notice people are too scared of the lawyers behind the man who started the whole idea of artists to use odd characters as a name.

4 Likes

Well the best reply is to look at the other things, often these are vaporwave or witchhouse genres! :​D

Ed Sheeran may indeed be a silly name, but it’s not a sillyname.
È𝕕 Ⓢℋℯℯȑặ𝔑 would be a sillyname

There is indeeeed a fish tag (and it is Very Silly™ indeed, (just not a sillyname))

alas I doubt that that symbol exists in unicode :​c

edit: there is also Tag “just another fish” - MusicBrainz and my favourite: fishvapor/fishwave esoteric genre

3 Likes

https://musicbrainz.org/collection/1156dcdf-af83-40f8-9fe7-809755ad90c0

:joy: @sound.and.vision

4 Likes

Look I’m SORRY but when I saw Discogs already had it… I can’t let them be weirder than us ok!!

3 Likes

ahem…

:grin:

5 Likes

Do any of those doomsday code vaults mirror MB like they do Wikipedia? I don’t want all these 80s Jpop albums to be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

1 Like

I am so glad to know why some do this!! Big ‘so it’s not just me’ moment!!

3 Likes

Random Geek Fact of the Day

Very very old CDs don’t have that little ridge you find on modern CDs. That little ridge was added so you can safely put a CD onto a desk (or scanner) without it sticking.

Little known fact - better to place a CD silver side down on a desk as more protection on that side. And have a look - the little ridge holds it clear of the desk surface.

When scanning old CDs I have a little suction cup thing that I pick the discs up with. Those really old discs make such a perfect seal to the glass otherwise :grin:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Some nostalgic sounds:

5 Likes