Cannot add a Disc-ID to a medium of a release, because already used elsewhere

Hi everybody,
Since few days, I Introduced data of my collection of old CDs into MusicBrainz, so I’m a pretty new user…
My problem concerns a Box of 3 CDs, released in 1988 by ERATO. This release looks very similar to another release already present in MB (label, title, composer, artists, tracks, and even release date),

but my box differs only by the barcode and the front picture… Of course, when I put the first CD in my CD-drive, it is not recognized from MB.
All these reasons lead me to record a new release :

I was able to add the Disc-ID of CD1 and CD3, which are different from those of the other mentioned release, but I cannot add the Disc-ID of my CD2, because it is exactly the same of that of the other CD2 of the previous release.

Of course, I can leave it as it is, but people who inspect my release may be surprised to found only two DiscID instead of three.

I don’t know how to solve this problem…
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

2 Likes

It is certainly possible for the same discid to be attached to multiple releases. In fact, it’s quite common. If you’re using MusicBrainz Picard for attaching the discid, please have a look at that section of the user guide. If you’re not using Picard, then I’m not sure what to tell you.

2 Likes

Many thanks @rdswift.
No button or action named “Submit Disc ID” on my linux version of MB-Picard, but I succeeded using the button “Lookup manually”.

The button has been renamed in the latest version of Picard. In earlier versions it was labeled Lookup In Browser. I assumed that you were using the latest version. Sorry for the confusion. In any case, good to hear that you were able to get it to work for you.

3 Likes

Similar to recent topic:

1 Like