Blurb, Foreword, Preface, Introduction, Afterword

Maybe I’m pedantic but “blurb” is not interchangeable with the terms: foreword, preface, introduction and afterword.

Blurb: a short description of a book, film, or other product written for promotional purposes.

Foreword: written by someone other than the author or editor and is usually someone with authority to lend credibility to your book, with their name appearing at the end.

Preface: discusses how the book came about, the scope of the book, why the book was written, its limitations, and any acknowledgments the author or editor has.

Introduction: differs from a preface and a foreword because it’s written by the author and does talk about the subject matter.

Afterword: found at the end of a piece of literature. It generally covers the story of how the book came into being, or of how the idea for the book was developed.

1 Like

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re referring to. Where did you find the wrong usage of blurbs. The only place I found it is in the edition form “has blurb written by”.

1 Like

Sorry, I was almost thinking out aloud when I posted this topic.

I’m currently looking at all of the Bookogs credit roles and finding the equivalent BB relationship roles.

During my investigation I found the relationship role “wrote blurb for” that exists in the Edition and it seems to get used frequently. I suspect however, it is used for credits such as foreword, preface, introduction and afterword which as I have explained are quite different to the meaning of blurb.

On Bookogs there were: “Foreword by”, “Preface by”, “Introduction by”, and “Afterword by”. Blurb didn’t get a mention.

Yes it was, I’m quite sure that I added it very often. And I use it here frequently, the German word is “Klappentext” (text on cover) which is more precise than the English term.

1 Like

It is quite possible that “wrote blurb for” is the correct role in some of the Editions that I have looked at. Without reference to the actual book it is impossible to tell.

This is an example of blurb:

P.S. I’m not on a witch hunt🧙‍♀️ I’m just trying to understand the relationship roles in respect of the Bookogs data import.

Yes these are some “Klappentexte”…totally neutral review excerpts :wink:
By the way, why do yo think they are not correctly used?

I can’t find it in the dump of Bookogs’ credit roles and I can’t remember ever seeing it, but then again I didn’t learn them off by heart. Here’s the list which I believe is complete: Matching bookogs credit roles to bookbrainz

Just a hunch and that’s why I qualified my statement using the word “suspect”. I thought it might be a case of it being used to credit things like introductions, afterwords, etc., because those roles don’t exist on BB. The other day I submitted an Edition and I wanted to credit the foreword and I almost used blurb but decided that is incorrect.

here it is:

That’s the BB role! I made the same mistake but @Madir listed those BB roles in bold as headings with the equivalent Bookogs role below it.

2 Likes

I see. Maybe my memory is already retiring :wink:

1 Like

You and me both! Hey Mr Tambourine play a song for (20 characters).

2 Likes

Yes, it was a first try to match those roles and the bold roles are the bookbrains roles.

I did a dump for comicogs too: https://community.metabrainz.org/t/formats-credits-and-genres-from-comicogs/489691?u=madir
There is no try to match, but compared to bookogs there were only very few roles.

3 Likes

G’day @Madir I thought you had disappeared for good. I used to be Agatha Crustie and Goldilox (and all sorts of usernames on Bookogs).

I have been looking at that list and I think you did an excellent job. There have been some developments on BB such as the introduction of the Series feature which now overlaps with the Series credit role on Bookogs, but apart from that your equivalent roles are perfect.

With any luck the Bookogs data importation might go ahead. We have you to thank for much of the groundwork. Without it the data would probably have been lost for good.

4 Likes

Good to hear from you and that one of the main contributors of bookogs is actively working on the import.

Yes I am not actually working on the site or spend much time on the Internet at all, but I got the mail when you mentioned me in your post. :upside_down_face:

I’m still having all the data and in addition all the images from the old ogs sites. So once an interface for putting them here is ready, I’ll try to help.

3 Likes