Add manual album listens offline

I really want to use Listen Brainz, but i listen a lot of offline music. Normally stream from my NAS to my AVR, but in vinyl too. Until now i was using last.fm and, for keep this listen sessions i use either Discogs (which have this built-in feature) either this web: https://openscrobbler.com/
I’ve noticed that the option to manually add tracks it is in the app, but i can’t add an album, which is annoying, especially when, like me, your habits are listen full albums.
is there a way? how can i fix this?

Thx you all in advance.

2 Likes

This is what you need:

1 Like

We also have this python command line script that submits whole album listens:

It works!!!
It works even with the Docker container of Picard i have installed on my NAS!!

Thx a lot

You have made very happy to a new user of Listenbrainz.

2 Likes

I’m curious, how i’m supposed to use this?
because i have no idea

anyways, thx you for the answer

I also couldn’t get this to work (non-techie person!)

Yay! It is so much better than Last.FM, there’s a bit of fiddling required to do things, but always worth it!

1 Like

Yeah!
It seems, anyways, better than last.fm, especially in what it comes to data analyse and show.
About fiddling, apart this, everything works great.
I have use a webhook to plex which is my main soft to listen music (NO spotify, Apple Music or Tidal) and everything works great, no need of side apps, i don’t know, i’m happy.
There are some albums missed, but i can submit it and i know what albums are thanks to Lidarr.

Well, the target audience of that script are geeks. In this case, you might need to wait for

https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/LB-1401

to be implemented.

1 Like

Maybe if you try (and want, if not is fine ;0) to explain how it works it can be usefull to me ;0)

1 Like

Well, the script takes an MBID for a release, looks up the recordings for the release and then submits listens for each of the recordings with timestamps that are accurate as if you had listened to that album in sequence.

To run the script you will need to install Python on your machine and install the click and requests python modules. Then the program should run from the command line.

1 Like

Aha! Installing Python was the missing link here :snake:
Armed with this knowledge I may try this again… :laughing:

@Calaat I finally finished the feature!
You can test it on beta.listenbrainz.org, and barring some error reports it will be available on the main website very soon.

12 Likes

This is beautiful!
Partial album listens are a great bonus.
Worked perfectly for me on PC (Firefox) and Android (DuckDuckGo)

2 Likes

This is very nice!

One small request: it would be nice if the text box treated links to listenbrainz.org/album/MBID the same as links to musicbrainz.org/release-group/MBID.

Screenshots demonstrating the difference:

https://listenbrainz.org/album/31048ac9-53bf-305a-9f4e-38ad458ee966

https://beta.musicbrainz.org/release-group/31048ac9-53bf-305a-9f4e-38ad458ee966

4 Likes

I had the same thought, and it was 5 minutes of work to implement it, so here we are: Submit album: Allow searching by LB album URL by MonkeyDo · Pull Request #2912 · metabrainz/listenbrainz-server · GitHub
It will be available very soon on the website.

5 Likes

Hot on the heels of the album submission tool, I addressed LB-1448, allowing to queue up single listens to make it more convenient to add multiple listens in a row, and help calculate their listening time based on the tracks’ duration.
You can select a specific release for each track if more than one are available

I’m finishing up the feature, so again it should be available in the next couple of weeks.

5 Likes

Hi. Love the idea of this! Just my luck that the first album I try, The Who Liberty Stadium 2007 has no track duration info, so the importer chokes. I’m pretty convinced this is going to be an oddity though. I’ll make use of this a lot so thanks for adding the feature!

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting the bug!
It should work and submit listens without a duration! However it will calculate the “listened at” timestamp using a default value of 1 minute, in the absence of a real duration.
I’ll fix that now.

Instead of defaulting to one minute, you could try to use the recording duration if there is no track duration. That’s what I am doing in my own submission tool and it worked well for all analog releases for which I’ve submitted listens so far (and whose recordings have track lengths on other/digital releases).

P.S. Have you already seen the comments on LB-1401? There is even more feedback for this feature :grin:

2 Likes