A multi‐source seeder for digital releases

You never actually state a question though… :slight_smile:

But yes, Spotify has an issue where multiple artists with the same name will get the same Spotify ID (e.g., spotify:artist:5KEjVMaEdZ1tHgaAIkZCVp). Spotify is a lot better than Deezer though (same artist as Spotify ID, but Deezer URL) and will sometimes have proper unique IDs even for artist that have the same name. E.g., there are multiple “Yasmin” artists on Spotify, even if some individual ones of them are actually multiple "Yasmin"s conflated.

Well, yeah, the question then - should i assign spotify artist links for such artist, coz from one side this will allow tool to fill them on release creation stage, but from other side - it could possibly link to wrong artist.

I would, and do (as evidenced by my links in my previous post). :slight_smile:

The links are still correct: You can find their music to stream for free via this link… the link just also lets you listen to other artists as well. When I am aware that an external ID covers multiple MusicBrainz IDs though, I try and make sure to link it to at least two of these, so anyone doing a “reverse lookup” (ie., tries to get the MBID from the external ID) are shown that the external ID is ambiguous and they should proceed with care. E.g., Yasmin was created specifically so I could link her to the Spotify ID so anyone looking up the Spotify ID could tell it didn’t cover only a single artist.

5 Likes

You are correct. On some artist it is either combined or wrong. Happens on iTunes and Deezeras well. Main thing to remember, and I use this awesome tool every day, is to double check and not rely 100% on the tools or scripts. I noticed that Khalid has the same issue on some releases.

But Deezer offers a tool to report the problem with the choice “This track wasn’t recorded by the artist shown”.

1 Like

But it is recorded by the artist shown. The artist shown just happens to represent multiple different real artists…

1 Like

Spotify can do that too

2 Likes

More or less, but yes I understand what you mean :wink: From my side, I report that kind of error anyway when I spot one, mostly with the link to MB.

Yep but the Deezer tools permit to anyone to do it:

1 Like

I noticed recently that if several artists are present for the track, the tool doesnt fill them all - only first one is shown. IIRC previously it filled all of them.

And just one more thought that came to my mind - since tool can provide link to cover art from digital stores would be nice to have some kind of “updater” which could replace existing art for a better one.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that it would be nice to add support for Bandcamp and/or Beatport sometime in the future:

3 Likes

Beatport provide a barcode?

Not that I noticed. They do provide catalog numbers, though (something no other digital store does, to my knowledge).

Ok because as far I know @marlonob uses the barcode to match release across streaming service.

1 Like

It’s possible they store that information somewhere that’s not publicly visible (as is the case with Apple Music/iTunes).

I hope :crossed_fingers:t2:
Maybe like Bandcamp:

2 Likes

Beatport stores barcodes, but unfortunately they don’t appear to expose them through the API or the public website. Sometimes the catalogue number field contains a barcode, but I don’t think the API allows you to search by catalogue number. :frowning:

Example: This release has an EAN for a catalogue number, and that number matches on Deezer, iTunes, and Spotify. Same release.

While we’re on this subject: Sometimes an album, EP, or single on Beatport has a different barcode than it does in other marketplaces. Examples:

Blasterjaxx feat. Junior Funke - Monster:

Blasterjaxx - Perspective:

One reason this can happen is that Beatport deals with labels directly, but on other marketplaces the material might be sub-licenced to another company.

5 Likes

a lot of times they provide a catalog number, which is actually the barcode.

How many tracks does this release have? 25 right?

Let’s look at the iTunes version:

Nothing has changed it seems…

Oh look, if I buy the whole thing it’s 26 tracks:

It’s not detected unfortunately (or rather the iTunes API doesn’t seem to provide this info) and instead a‐tisket links to other listings missing the 26th track.

Edit
The 26th track at iTunes is a booklet.

3 Likes

That is just weird. It doesn’t even show 26 tracks on THEIR site. I can see if maybe the atisket just didn’t pick it up, which I’ve seen sometimes when there are videos on the tracklisting, but this is the first time I’ve seen this and I don’t see how anyone could ever have known without it being purchased.

Not that I noticed. They do provide catalog numbers, though (something no other digital store does, to my knowledge).

FYI the following is a list of digital stores that provide catalog numbers:

• Beatport
  • Juno Download
  • Boomkat
  • Bleep
  • Traxsource

Bleep sells both physical and digital versions of releases and only provides one catalog number for all formats so I don’t tend to treat it as an authoritative source.

Both Beatport and Juno Download seem to perform some sort of internal “standardisation” to catalog numbers. Juno Download strips non-alphanumeric characters and adds a space between the letters and numbers. Beatport just strips non-alphanumeric characters. Also as noted above, sometimes Beatport just lists the UPC as the catalog number.

Using Anunaku - Stargate EP as an example:

6 Likes