A multi‐source seeder for digital releases

Is there a way to associate an imported digital release with an existing release group? The importer seems to make a brand new release group instead of adding a digital release to an existing group.

Edit: Oh I’m stupid, there’s an option on the first page that I overlooked.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if the tool is behaving weirdly or if it’s always been like this, but I’ve come across a release that’s available on all 3 platforms, if I enter the iTunes link in the search form it will say that China, Japan and South Korea are excluded. Using the Spotify or Deezer link instead, it comes back as Worldwide. I personally checked the same album on the Chinese, Japanese and Korean Apple Music and they have indeed a different UPC there. Also searched the album on Spotify API and the Korean release has a different one as well. So why is a-tisket returning a Worldwide release? And why does the first link added to the form change the list?

Also, have multiple countries been unlisted from those platforms? Updating the country list from 2 years ago on MB, I actually got a shorter list and that’s including new countries where it wasn’t available before.

It’s related to the (weird) recent iTunes API change which now returns related releases which might have a different barcode than the requested one:

Your first search does the country lookups by UPC (for which the iTunes API also returns a result for the CN/JP/KR release with a different UPC) while the second search does lookups by Apple ID (which only returns the exact match which of course is not available in CN/JP/KR).

4 Likes

the country formerly known as “Swaziland” now goes by the name “Eswatini”. this has been updated in musicbrainz: Eswatini - MusicBrainz

but has not yet been renamed in either atisket instance. i hope this will be updated as eswatini was their name historically, and swaziland was the name chosen by british colonists.

2 Likes

queue the “Apple Music ruined everything again” music, lol

apparently Apple Music has started linking different versions of albums together, and it’s had some interesting effects on Atisket… namely, it appends the Deluxe Edition to the Standard Edition:

note the link on the bottom of the Apple Music page. I was able to counteract this by manually entering the Apple Music ID into Atisket.

4 Likes

That’s been going on for a while. You have to enter both the ID and UPC in order to prevent it from loading all versions in one tracklist.

3 Likes

a trick i use to make sure it’s the right one is go to the itunes page source and use ctrl+f to search “upc”. the very first result is the correct one.

(this seems like something not too hard for the developers to implement into atisket btw)

6 Likes

Thank you for creating and maintaining this! I’ve been using it a lot in combination with various browser addons to import information sourced from other pages into MB. It’s great. :slight_smile:

I did not read through all 500 posts in this thread, so I don’t know if this has already been reported, but I’ve been having an issue with some Spotify albums (singles, actually), that have IDs longer than 22 characters. The form does not allow me to submit them. I tried removing the pattern attribute on the input element and just submitting them anyway, but the resulting page stays blank. Examples of albums with longer IDs are here and here (both 23 chars).

As of today, Apple Music has changed their source code and you cannot longer find UPCs for releases unless they’re embedded on the cover art URL. RIP.

2 Likes

ARRRRRRGGGGH. Why??? This sucks. Well there is still that barcode/UPC text file. That’s just dumb. I don’t know why these companies act like that’s something that should be secret.

5 Likes

Totally killed the toadking script. No longer lists any audio traits, barcodes, anything. This really is disappointing. I hope Daniel still can get the collection match files at least. They are usually a few months behind, but are great to have because it has all releases, even ones no longer on Apple Music.

1 Like

Seems ISRC’s are also not listed in the source - unless I’m missing something. What is this barcode/UPC text file you speak of @tigerman325?

Yeah, and ISRCs too. Man they are killing a lot of good info. Hopefully it’s only temporary. So far the ones I have looked up this afternoon have it in the jpg file but as we know many don’t or haven’t.

Record Labels are gone also, sigh.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of the challenges with all of the scripts.

I am not seeing any change to my access or the underlying files I typically pull. I just uploaded an out-of-cycle updated database set so you can test if anything has changed from the underlying data set. Please give it a couple minutes to get published to Google Drive, though.

4 Likes

Since the Apple Music website uses it’s own MusicKit JS, it’s fairly easy to reverse engineer the API calls using the browser’s developer tools. And there’s no need to register a developer account to get a separate token- you can extract the token used by the website from one of the javascript files (currently https://music.apple.com/assets/index.65215e1b.js).

Example of album lookup:

curl 'https://amp-api.music.apple.com/v1/catalog/us/albums/980592714' -H 'User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:106.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/106.0' -H 'Accept: */*' -H 'Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5' -H 'Referer: https://music.apple.com/' -H 'Authorization: Bearer eyJhbGciOiJFUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCIsImtpZCI6IldlYlBsYXlLaWQifQ.eyJpc3MiOiJBTVBXZWJQbGF5IiwiaWF0IjoxNjY2MjA5MTY4LCJleHAiOjE2NzM0NjY3NjgsInJvb3RfaHR0cHNfb3JpZ2luIjpbImFwcGxlLmNvbSJdfQ.txDAv_8oy4G8zaens4enLYtADkP_zwcVLfT4NKW9l6Bt9KEyaYj566gtchMPJ-5cj7xxxrFsbd6wJcPbNvBRCg' -H 'Origin: https://music.apple.com'
2 Likes

I’ve updated the Apple Music script to work with the new site: GitHub - ToadKing/apple-music-barcode-isrc

Since it now fetches the info directly from the Apple Music servers, some notes:

• You no longer need to refresh the page if you’re navigating the site for the script to work.
  • It uses a hardcoded access token. It’s possible this can change at any time, and if it does the script will need to be updated for it. The quickest way to alert me of this is to make an issue on the GitHub page.
  • I’ve ran into a couple of times during testing where I get locked out of the site for making too many requests. This appears as an infinite loading screen on the site. If that happens you have to wait a couple of minutes before you can access the site again.
9 Likes

For clarification’s sake, this is referring to the “recordLabel” text string in the pages’ source code. Record label pages on Apple Music are still very much a thing.

1 Like

I just attempted to use the script and I got this error message:

TypeError: document.getElementById(…) is null

1 Like