A multi‐source seeder for digital releases

But if it’s on Deezer’s end, why is marlonob’s site showing it, but the mirror isn’t? I guess that’s all I was pointing out.

1 Like

Or is it actually not getting a result, but showing like it is because it found the link?

1 Like

New Markets

Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Curaçao, Djibouti, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Macau, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

6 Likes

As I see it there are 2 possibilities:

1. Deezer is returning an empty available_countries attribute to requests only from certain IPs or countries
  2. marlonob’s instance is not interpreting the empty country list correctly

I think option 2 is much more likely than 1. You can help to confirm this is if you want by visiting the Deezer track API and telling me if it returns an empty array for available_countries.

1 Like

@kellnerd has already submitted a PR to update the list of Spotify countries. We’re going to wait until Spotify is confirmed as live in those countries before deploying the update.

Your link iswas incomplete, but when I visit https://api.deezer.com/track/2548816 from your previous post, it indeed shows an empty array for available_countries. The issue seems to be that some tracks (including track 1 = the above example) are only available for Deezer premium users:

Not sure if there is anything we can do about this, even ignoring all tracks with an empty available_countries array during the calculation of the intersection for the release will not work as even the two tracks (5 and 11) which I can play with Deezer free are reported with no available_countries through the API…

1 Like

Marlonob’s original server does not really handle this example correctly, it always says Countries where available (Deezer + Spotify), even if the release is not available anywhere on Deezer (according to the API). It returns the same list of available (Spotify) countries regardless of whether you are using Deezer+Spotify or only Spotify as source (the Countries excluded list then contains the Deezer-only territories).

At the time of testing this we already have 100 available Spotify territories for this example by the way, which means that (at least) seven out of the new 85 countries are already available.

2 Likes

Thanks, fixed!

AFAIU available_countries is unrelated to whether a track is available in Deezer free or premium:

https://developers.deezer.com/api/track

List of countries where the track is available

However, an empty value here clearly doesn’t indicate that the release is unavailable in all countries. It feels to me like a Deezer data issue given the number of tracks affected seems tiny so far.

2 Likes

Some further research: What the tracks of this album also have in common is that the API reports the attribute readable as false for all of them, even for Things That U Do which I can play just fine with a free account. Maybe because this track is also part of a different album without restricted access?
When I lookup this album with a-tisket it reports the Deezer countries as expected because the track has a different ID for this album which does not return an empty list.
So it looks like the availability of a track does depend on the subscription tier… and also on the related album, so Deezer’s whole system of storing the availability at track level seems pointless!?
Or are there any albums where some tracks are not availble for all territories if we ignore the cases where tracks are only playable because they are part of a different album which is available there?

Yes e.g.

Tracks 6, 7, 9 and 14 aren’t available to me and the popup says “this track is not available in your country”.

Your right. It does indeed return an empty country list, so it’s just not available on Deezer any longer at that link.

Confirmed by API, 2/23/2021: Bangladesh, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tanzania & Uganda

https://atisket.pulsewidth.org.uk/?preferred_countries=US%2CGB%2CCA%2CMX%2CDE%2CAU%2CJP%2CDK%2CBE&spf_id=7JhGOo4ojHVgNbFdxHGUgD&upc=00602435658919&preferred_vendor=itu&search_itu_countries=si

1 Like

Confirmed by API, 2/25/2021: Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Curaçao, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Swaziland (Eswatini), Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Macao, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Federated States of Micronesia, Mongolia, Namibia, Nauru, Niger, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Suriname, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Vanuatu & Zimbabwe

https://atisket.pulsewidth.org.uk/?preferred_countries=US%2CGB%2CCA%2CMX%2CDE%2CAU%2CJP%2CDK%2CBE&spf_id=4otkd9As6YaxxEkIjXPiZ6

3 Likes

Not sure if this is the right topic to mention this, but the “ISRC submit” option isn’t working for like 3 days now. I keep getting this error:

Capturar

I am regularly checking the Wikipedia article on Spotify and out of 85 announced countries only 8 countries are still missing, they will likely be available by tomorrow. Since I have already prepared the changes for all 85 at once, the most sensible way is to wait for the missing ones instead of pulling the update apart, it just would make it more likely that the list is already deprecated again by the time atj has deployed the update.

By the way, according to my local test server your example release has become “non-worldwide” in the mean time because in addition to the 8 missing countries Belarus (since July 2020), Brunei, Burkina Faso, Nepal and Uzbekistan (since February 2021) are not available (yet).

1 Like

It has been moved to d.ontun.es a few months ago and marlonob’s instance of a-tisket has not received updates for a long time. If you need the ISRC submission tool, I would recommend you to use the a-tisket mirror which is actively maintained and links to tatsumo’s new site.

5 Likes

I knew that’d be a problem. I think on those it depends on what countries they are, and many won’t change as most releases on Spotify are shared with Deezer and Deezer was already available in most of these new countries. But yeah, I’m not going to change a worldwide to a long list if it’s only Cabo Verde, which I never even heard of (and I have a minor in Geography and have studied world maps for 45 years) until this news came out.

4 Likes

@tatsumo announced 3 months ago in the Fetching ISRCs from Spotify thread that they were migrating the code to a new host, and that the old instance would stop working in the future.

Great tool!

I think the ISRC is very much needed, and I understand that there is a development block at the moment. It ties into my recommendation here… add a distinction for explicit and non explicit. For example:

There are two versions of this release:
  1. Explicit, iTunes 1521943207 (tracks explicit: 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11)
  2. Not Explicit, iTunes: 1521946560

There is also a barcode issue that I see, but I will only state the issue vs debating it here. The UPC on the release in MB is 00810045114187, which does not correspond to the UPC codes used in the ISRC database. This is a concern as the UPC is still trying to be used as an identifier, but the usage is inconsistent through channels like it is for physical releases… since it is printed right on the release itself. I think there should be some way to reference the different barcodes used for the same release… otherwise I could very well duplicate the above release three times as there are three different barcodes available for it, all separate from what is already there. Adding both versions, explicit and not, there is a total of 6 barcodes, all differing from the retail stores.

@aerozol - FYI

Here is the data for ISRC on the above release:
1.Your Plug - explicit QMJMT2002929, not explicit QMJMT2002930
2.Why - explicit QMJMT1902576, not explicit QMJMT1902577
3.Careful - explicit QMJMT2002960, not explicit QMJMT2002961
4.Show Me - explicit QMJMT2002933, not explicit QMJMT2002934
5.All I Do Is 4 U - QMJMT2002935
6.More In the Morning - explicit QMJMT2002937, not explicit QMJMT2002938
7.Red Flag - explicit QMJMT2002962, not explicit QMJMT2002963
8.Next Episode - explicit QMJMT2002939, not explicit QMJMT2002940
9.By Your Side - QMJMT2002941
10.Regrets - explicit QMJMT2002964, not explicit QMJMT2002965