Yet another Various Artists question

I’m trying to add this release: http://www.allmusic.com/album/alan-lomax-in-asturias-november-1952-mw0002311477

Actually, there are a lot of releases around that are related to this Alan Lomax guy. I’m trying to get them sorted out in a semi-coherent way. There were a lot of releases under the “Alan Lomax Collection” so I’ve created a series for that.

This particular release, and most of the Alan Lomax Collection releases, are traditional music from a specific region, recorded by Lomax, mostly in the 50s. In this case especially it’s all original recordings by particular people at a particular time and place. It could reasonably be called Various Artists, but I wonder if it would make sense to list Lomax as the album artist, since he’s named on the cover and represents the unifying force?

1 Like

Makes sense to me to put the album artist as Alan Lomax, that seems to be the artist intent.

1 Like

WTF, that’s my home region, should listen to this too! :slight_smile:

Anyway, agreed, use Lomax for the release (although I’d not use him for the tracks, if the performer is unknown just use [unknown] or something).

3 Likes

If you need an example of what @reosarevok means, here’s something I added a while back:

Ok, here we go. That was a LOT of new artists to enter at once. The book that goes with it is available for download; I’ll fine tune the credits later, just wanted to get it saved before something went haywire and I had to do it all over again.

@reosarevok, can you tell me if I’ve entered the sort artist names for the new artists correctly?

1 Like

Mostly it seems so, but sometimes they have two surnames and the first is listed as a name. I’ll review them and change anything that needs it :slight_smile: (and caps)

Edit: Done now, mostly. Also this is a fantastic album, thanks for bringing it to my notice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! That’s what I was afraid of.