Will artist credits change when merging recordings between artists?

If a recording is merged from one artist to another (The Maytals to Toots and the Maytals) will the original tracklisting stay the same? In other words, will the old artist name become an artist credit in the tracklist like Toots and the Maytals credited as The Maytals? Thanks :+1:

The tracklist doesn’t change when merging recordings, other than all tracks linked to the merged recordings pointing to the same recording once the merge applies. If you want to change the tracklist itself, then you need to edit the release separately (but keep in mind the tracklist should generally follow the credit that is printed, so in many cases you shouldn’t change it).

2 Likes

Great, so if I understand correctly, from the merged tracklists the tracks will still be listed as The Maytals and won’t change to being listed as Toots and the Maytals even though they weren’t previously detailed as having a different name from the artist? That is what I wanted but thought I’d check.

1 Like

If the track artist and recording artist differ, it’ll show both on the tracklist, for example:

2 Likes