Why isn't the 'Open in Tagger' link working, or visible?

Hi there,

Mid-way through a session of organising several thousand audio files, I’ve run into the problem of the ‘Open in Tagger’ green links from the web database no longer working. Clicking them causes no response by Picard. I’ve restarted Picard (losing a lot of work…) and my web browser, with no improvement. In fact, I can no longer see some of the green links that I could see before! Even though I am logged in.

How can I proceed with fixing or troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance.

I believe it’s a Cooke that is set when you use picard and get this to do a search on the website.
Once this set the website knows you have picard running and will add the open in picard links.

The easiest thing to do is open picard and do a search (for anything, a random string), your browser will bring up a search page.
You can then navigate back to the release page and relad it, it will now have an open in tagger link.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ve used this method since to activate the link and it works as expected the vast majority of the time. Only rarely does the link still not trigger the expected action in Picard.

1 Like

Hi there. I’ve been using Musicbrainz Picard for a couple of years now, but I just recently started having this issue. I’ve tried searching in Picard to bring up the Musicbrainz search page with tagger links, but they still aren’t working.

Any Ideas on how to fix this?

You mean the TAGGER links appear in MB website, but trigger not actions in Picard when you click them?

Did you open Picard several times, maybe?

You need to start with a “lookup in browser” from picard to have the tagger buttons appear.

Or paste &tport=8000 on the end of your URLs and reload the page. That puts the green buttons into place

3 Likes

That’s exactly what’s happeninig

Perhaps you have Browser Integration disabled, check Options > Advanced > Network > Browser Integration

1 Like

Thanks, but that’s not the problem.

@cbretschneider A few things to check. First make sure you have only a single instance of Picard running, otherwise it can become confusing to test. Then check what Picard is displaying on the lower right after Listening Port. By default it should be 8000, but it could be different on your setup.

If it is 8000 then try to open the following link directly (this is a direct link that will call into the running Picard and attempt to load this album).

http://127.0.0.1:8000/openalbum?id=8d5d1c30-ce3c-410b-b9d9-b98634e07d3d

If your listening port is not 8000 adjust this in the link.

If you load this in the browser the browser should just display Nothing to see here., but in Picard the album should load. If this is working, we at least know the general setup from Picard side is fine.

Which means there is some issue with clicking the tagger button itself on the MB website. If clicking this does nothing it might get blocked by something. Maybe try this with a different browser. If this works, please tell us what browser on what operating system is not working for you and maybe what kind of plugins that might block access are installed. Also you can look at the browser console (which I think can be opened with Ctrl+Shift+I on most modern browsers) if there appear any error messages when you click a green tagger button.

Remember: You can always load any MB release directly into Picard by drag and dropping the URL to a release (e.g. https://musicbrainz.org/release/8d5d1c30-ce3c-410b-b9d9-b98634e07d3d) into the Picard main window or pasting it into Picard’s search box.

3 Likes

Newb here, hoping to get some help on this as well. Everything with Picard is working fine except when I press the green tagger on the MB listing after the command “Lookup in Browser”. All that happens is the Picard icon in the Windows task bar flashes a few times. I have confirmed the network settings are correct and the Windows firewall is open for MB. The Chrome browser displays an empty page that states in a monospaced font; ‘MBID " [a long string of numbers with dashes] " loaded’. I’ve tried the suggestion of dragging the URL into Picard but that doesn’t seem to do anything either…

That all sounds like it worked. The taskbar icon flashing happens when Picard tries to raise the window again, which it does after it received the request to load the release. The corresponding release should have been loaded in the right pane of Picard.

This is a bit odd, the way the MB website handles that a simple click on the tagger button should load the link in the background, so you wouldn’t see that message. Do you have JavaScript disabled, or do you choose to open the tagger link in a new tab?

2 Likes

Thanks outsidecontext. this install of Picard is actually running on a new board with a fresh Windows and Chrome install (with all the plain vanilla defaults) so I doubt if it’s a JS disablement cause but that sure is a sensible guess. By experimentation I find that I can get a change if I have an MB database sourced album title for the Picard application selection focus. This is a challenging use of Picard/MB because I am trying to (finally) organize my Jazz collection that has lots of old (but good) tracks… lots of no-finds…

But as I said, otherwise everything indicates that it worked. The release in question should show up in Picard. If it really does not show up, open the Help > Show Error/Debug log dialog, setvyhe output level in the lower right to “Debug”, than click that tagger button again. What does the debug log show?

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I tested it again with several popular tracks and albums and it seems to be working fine - the release information shows up nicely. I believe I may have misinterpreted Picard’s rather understated match-fail behavior when going after obscure tracks and albums. Thanks again outsidecontext for diving in to help!

2 Likes