What's with the membranophone?

I notice on many releases that performers who should be playing drums are playing the membranophone… is that a new trend in music?

No, it’s a trend in pedantry, and not very new.

Behold: Drums vs. drumset

4 Likes

Oops, sorry for opening old wounds…

3 Likes

Heh, repent by reading all the way through that thread (please don’t).

I hurt me finger scrolling… ouwie…

If it’s any consolation, there’s a userscript you can use to easily change any “membranophone” credits to “drums (drum set)”.

2 Likes

I imagine there’s thousands of wrong entries… no thanks :slight_smile: It might even be easier to change all “membranophone” entries in the database to “drum set” and then fix the real membranophone back. What say the statistics?

Hey, we’re down to only 1300 or so pages of membranophone credits; at one time there were well over 2000. So in another 3 years or so we should have them all cleaned up.

5 Likes

While doing some research on ‘instruments’, I just noticed this sentence on the official MusicBrainz instruments list page:

For specific drums not yet in MusicBrainz, use membranophone (or slit drum, if appropriate) and consider [requesting the missing instrument]

If there now is a common agreement that the membranophone should be killed with fire, shouldn’t this sentence/advice be changed accordingly?

2 Likes

I should probably point out that there’s a batch-edit ticket in the pipeline to get rid of all of the existing “membranophone” relationships. These need to be cleaned up before we can nuke the instrument entity.

2 Likes

That’s great.
But removing the still present advice to editors to use ‘membranophone’ could be removed now, no?

3 Likes