What player do you use?

Hi all…
I hope I’m not too OT here… :-/
I’m using PLEX as my main player, but it lacks some features - first of all: adding an album where more artists are collaborating is somehow not supported.
So, starting from the above issue: which player do you use (which also supports streaming) and secondly, how would you add this album here?

Thanks,
Flavio.

1 Like

I was using Google Play Music until it got shut down and turned into Youtube Music and now I’m not really using anything :sob:

I like PLEX but my router + provider hates it and it doesn’t allow me to connect from mobile even with a bunch of mucking about with it.

I’m not sure I understand? I can see releases with featured artists in my PLEX library via the app - For instance this release should appear in your library under Artist: Sly & Robbie meet Nils Petter Molvær feat. Eivind Aarset and Vladislav Delay

Or am I missing something.

OttoKerner on the Plex forum stated that “Collaborations are currently not really supported.” See this thread: How to add the artist folder when it contains more than one artist? - Metadata & Adding Files - Plex Forum

So you would create the folder “Sly & Robbie meet Nils Petter Molvær feat. Eivind Aarset and Vladislav Delay” and below this, the folder “Nordub” - right?

I tried using PleX for my music library, and it is good if i need something while “out and about” but I found the constant changes they kept making kept screwing up my library.

On my computer I am mostly using MediaMonkey - which I’ve used for a considerable amount of time now after iTunes became a bit naff.

Thanks for your report… what are the changes they made, that screwed up your library?

About 12 months ago (?) they actually switched to using MBrainz for metadata lookup, which was fine but I had personally got used to the previous option. For some reason it got very confused and I had to pretty much delete and re-build my library in PleX for it to sort itself out, to which it still isn’t “fixed” (for example I have multiple Various Artists entries for some bizarre reason)

Thanks for reporting this. I did not notice any “mess” with my library, but maybe it’s just because it is fine with me as it works right now and the lookups are OK. I have to admit, though, that for some reason the album front cover for GusGus’ “Mexico” is not being loaded in Plex :frowning:

To be honest I’ve been using PleX for a number of years so its probably just a very dirty and corrupt database.

1 Like

Ah I think I understand, I never saw an issue as I like to browse by my folder structure. So grabbing the artist from the artist folder name suits me.

I personally would put this album into a folder called 'Sly & Robbie meets Nils Petter Molvaer", because I don’t include feat. artists at that level. And then yeah, album folders under that so ‘Nordub’.

1 Like

I still use Winamp. It whips!

1 Like

… and how do you work with releases comprised of more than 1 CD? Do you create a subfolder structure with “Disc 1”, “Disc 2” and so on? Or do you just prepend 1- or 2- to the tracks?

1 Like

I just use the default MB behavior - prepend the disc number.

I create sub folders sometimes if each CD has specific cover art associated, because I personally like to have it show in the player (not sure how Plex handles that).

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @aerozol - my question rises from the fact that Plex logic would require to create a folder for each disc in a release…

1 Like

MusicBee is fantastic as a library manager and player, but the streaming support isn’t the best. There’s a plugin but it’s known to cause excess memory usage.

I use Jellyfin for my self-hosted streaming (and also as a backend to kodi on my HTPC). And I use Strawberry (a fork of Clementine) on my main PC while I work.

I was heavily invested in MusicBee as well, with several virtual tags to move my music around. It was pretty awesome, though I never used MB to tag my music, I did it all manually. Then I switched to Linux ¯\(ツ)

There is no MusicBee for Linux, so I needed different tools. I now use beets (which does use MB for tags) to manage my collection and mpd for playback, with ncmpcpp as a front-end. It appeals to my inner geek.

1 Like

If you’re happy with that, great. Some folks have had luck running MusicBee with Wine as I understand it.

You guys are probably going to laugh, but Windows Media Player 12 is my player-of-choice on my computer.

On other devices, I usually use VLC. It’s not pretty, but it’s pretty much bulletproof.

2 Likes

I use MediaMonkey in order to manage playlists in Windows and sync to my Android phone. I’m not thrilled with the MM Android player, through. Anyone have a Win+Android setup they really like?

Since Steven added the MusicBee Wifi Sync app, MusicBee does this really well. It even reverse syncs ratings, playcounts, and playlists from GMMP and Poweramp.

1 Like