What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

this time of year has given me the idea, implementing something like Spotify Wrapped would be crazy cool~ especially the ability to share to your social media…

3 Likes

We are doing a “Year In Music - 2021” for ListenBrainz. It should arrive soon. Stay tuned :wink:

5 Likes

A map of artists/genres similar to the ones you prefer, like Artist Info, would be cool.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking into this, it’s also a feature I’d like to have.
We have a ticket open for it.
I’d say that should be implemented in the first part of this coming year

3 Likes

May be make some chart of most listened songs on LB? Like /user/Username/charts/ but for all users

4 Likes

I like this idea, this would also make nice statistics on the start page of LB and maybe even MB.

The statistics themselves already kind of exist, I was told that listenbrainz-prod's Stats - ListenBrainz provides data for all users combined.

2 Likes

Yes, the backend support for this exists. But the UI has not been added for it yet. We are also ironing out a few things there to avoid letting one or two users dominate the entire sitewide stats.

The listenbrainz-prod indeed shows stats for the entire site. Sitewide stats will get a dedicated page in future.

3 Likes

I checked out Topsters for the first time in years and saw that they have a huge “PANDEMIC TRUTH REPORT”, which contains what you would expect, on the page. This has created some controversy around the project.
https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
There’s no good alternatives to this service as far as I know, so I think there is a niche that LB and CAA could fill here.
For those who don’t know, Topsters lets you export your recent last.fm listens in image format so that you could share them on social media. And you could search the last.fm database to find cover art to make a chart you personally curated, for example to make an introduction to a genre or to share your top 100 albums. I think something similar using LB and CAA would help encourage usage of both services.

3 Likes

+1 on being able to edit listens. MessyBrainz integration is good for those who don’t have the ability to support MBIDs, but it can sometimes match titles/artists to the wrong recording. I’ve had my listens go to recordings associated with promotional copies or mixtapes even though the original track is on MB, one of them even went to the wrong artist. It’s still good for what it does, but for when it doesn’t match, having the ability to edit listens would be handy.

The ability to remove listens in a certain timeframe would be nice, too. I have listens I’d like to keep and I haven’t deleted my imported data for that reason. Would help resolve issues like when last.fm was reporting the wrong MBIDs in 2019. If not, having the ability to import from ListenBrainz exports would do too.

5 Likes

@Victini We are collecting list of invalid matches to improve the mapping process in LB-1036. Can you please share the track details (track title and artist name) for the invalid matches?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell what the overall top tracks, artists and albums are. I would like to be able to easily check what is popular right now and what are the most popular things of all time. Not for any technical purpose, just curiosity.

It would be cool if we could see the top tracks of the day on the front page, too. My prediction is that LB’s top tracks of the day would be mostly j-pop and metal vs. last.fm’s k-pop and American indie.

3 Likes

I want a way to manually submit listens… I want this because I listen to a lot of electronic music podcasts or mixes on Mixcloud/Soundcloud, and while some Mixcloud shows will submit all the way through via the Web Scrobbler, sometimes they just post a tracklist… and being able to just take the tracklist, put it into CSV or whatever, and submit it directly, is an excellent way to track my listening.

I understand an issue with this is fraud - e.g., people submitting giant lists of tracks & spamming, but even doing something like limiting it to 100 or 200 submissions a day, I think, woudl solve this problem, as it would make spamming that burdened the system or skewed results difficult, while still making the feature accessible to all of us podcast/electronic music enjoyers…

Plus, you could also add the feature of ‘Scrobble album from MusicBrainz’ - this would be genius since:

• I also listen to albums on YouTube, some of which do not have chapters thus do not scrobble via WebScobbler
  • Users would have the incentive of adding new (and even old) albums to the MusicBrainz database that are not present so they can use the scrobble album (or scrobble track) feature.

If you could provide this feature, I think it would get a lot of utility specifically from EDM fans, but what would also be interesting is that it could be a tool to suck in more users from last.fm who do not want to pay sites like Universal Scrobbler to get unlimited manual submissions.

3 Likes

There is indeed a succinct page of overall statistics, but we are brewing plans to improve it.
In the meantime, here it is for your enjoyment:
https://listenbrainz.org/statistics

5 Likes

Technically, you can currently use the API and your authorization token to manually send listens; in fact that’s how the various scrobblers work.

However, that does require some technical knowledge, and there is no convenient and user-friendly way to manually submit listens.
I love your idea !
I created a ticket to track the feature: [LB-1157] Provide a way to manually add a listen on the website - MetaBrainz JIRA.
Probably not very high on our list of priorities, but we have most of the code available to make this happen.
We’ll need to figure out how a user can search for and select a track. Perhaps we could use the same search bar we use for adding tracks to playlists, which allows searching tracks on MusicBrainz.

4 Likes

I think @Victini was working on a Picard plugin that could manually submit listens…

I do agree though, one built-in is a feature high on my list too~ maybe even have a button on MusicBrainz to do it too?

As @UltimateRiff said, I did develop a Picard plugin that can submit to ListenBrainz, and it works… on Linux that is. When it was tested on Windows, it errors out, and I believe it’s because of me using Python’s requests library for web requests rather than Picard’s own web request library (which I’m aware is better for Picard).

There isn’t much documentation for development of Picard plugins, and I had trouble wrapping my head around the web request library used by Picard and its plugins, so I left it on the back-burner.

I might rework the plugin into a standalone application instead if people want that. @vvater’s post is making me consider that (i.e. a queue system for recordings)

4 Likes

Have you had a look at the Plugins API and Writing a Plugin tutorial in the Picard User Guide? I admit that the tutorial may be a bit simplistic, so if you have any suggestions for improvement I’d love to hear them.

One thing that is not covered in the documentation is all of the classes and their associated methods within Picard’s code base. It’s on my To-Do list someday, but I haven’t worked up the courage to tackle such a daunting task yet.

2 Likes

Yup! I used that to start off with. I think some documentation on how to handle web requests in Picard would help a lot, as it seems like urllib/requests wouldn’t work in this case (especially on Windows.)

actually, looks like @Coloradohusky may be working on something similar too:

2 Likes

Thank you. I must be blind, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I guess my predictions were wrong. Even though there are a lot of Japan and Korea focused editors here, they do not seem to shift LB’s statistics away from mainstream western music.
Some things I wish I could see:

• The top artists for every country. Right now, we can only see the top artists for a couple popular countries like the USA, France, UK and Japan. Recordings are better, but places like China and Mexico are still skipped over. Maybe each place can have a top 5, even if they only have a handful of listeners
  • Cover art for the recordings and releases
  • The ability to break it down by genre. To see the most popular black metal songs or most popular Burmese stereo songs, for example
  • Maybe the user location from MB profiles could be used to find the most popular songs in certain parts of the world? The k-pop that people in Korea like might be different from the k-pop that Americans like
2 Likes