What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

Yeah, that’s a bug. will open a ticket and see what we can do about it.

2 Likes

I like the artist origins map, but I’m more interested in a map that shows the number of times I listened to artists per country instead of the number of artists I listened to per country.

With the current map, an artist I listened to once is counted as one, and an artist I listened to a hunderded times is counted as one. I would like to see the second artist to be counted as hundred instead. That would better reflect my listening habits when I’ve been listening to that Antarctican artist all week and listened to a US artist only once.

6 Likes

I know there aren’t many contributors but here are my ideas that you may or may not implement in the future:

• ability to search through your listens
    • by track name, album, artist, time (last week, month etc.)
  • ability to download/export the reports and charts pages
    • maybe as a pdf/html or (what I think I’d prefer) a spreadsheet
    • or the ability to view historical reports/charts (like the premium feature on last.fm) but I think it’d take a lot of useless(?) space on the servers? I really don’t know
  • something similar to an “obscurity rating”; or maybe just a comparison to other ListenBrainz users
  • artist/recording pages
  • a way to sum up multiple releases into one recording
    • last.fm does this: if you listen to the same song from multiple releases (album, single, best of) it counts as one song for the stats; from what I understand, for ListenBrainz the same song from another release is treated as another son
    • a way to turn it on/off would be great (for example I would like for it to work like on last.fm, but maybe others prefer it working this way)
    • and also something similar to this: “integrating” songs from multiple sources (e.g. Spotify and another music app), which may not have the same metadata for the song (slightly different spelling etc.) into one song
      • I would really love this feature
  • live stats
    • I don’t know whether or not this is possible, but I’d really appreciate it
    • having to wait for varying intervals for the stats is not the best from the UX perspective ;p
      • sometimes I have to wait a week, sometimes two weeks; sometimes it will show a whole week, sometimes three days idk I tried to find a system behind it but wasn’t able do it ;p

But thank you for all the work you’ve put into the site till now! :smiley:

10 Likes

We’ve deployed a fix for this.

1 Like

At the moment what I most wanted was that listenbrainz could import from a file the entire listening history of the spotify, because Spotify has a tool that can export the reproduction history from up to one year ago (or more if you ask the spotify support). And congratulations to those who are developing the project, I’m really enjoying Listenbrainz, it’s getting better and better!

One thing I do often on last.fm: Click on a song to see how many times I’ve scrobbled it.

4 Likes

marlonob created a multi‐source seeder for digital releases. As a Deezer subscriber I had already wondered at last.fm that streaming via Spotify (instead of YouTube) was suddenly possible. With ListenBrainz it is the same.

It would be great if I as a Deezer subscriber (and I’m sure this applies to the Tidal-hipsters as well) would have the possibility to play songs, albums and recommendations right here from Deezer API and similar by Tidal, Napster,… So I would be very grateful if you could add alternatives to Spotify (like Deezer) in the future. Maybe with the help from marlonob’s tool. Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

Basically all features and functionality of Last.fm and Libre.fm (Libre.fm doesn’t really have much functionality though, however, its song statistics per day is missing both here and on Last.fm). I would like to see priority for editing the song title, artist field and album field of songs already submitted (and whatever other meta-data that ListenBrainz uses), and also bulk edit is important too for scrobbles that have all fields identical (along with editing scrobbles; bulk edit is a Last.fm Pro feature). One thing Last.fm doesn’t allow us is to edit the casing; I would like to do that here. I’m very picky about proper titles, like, say, Total Eclipse of the Heart, not Total Eclipse Of The Heart (and it’s very annoying that I can’t fix this with various song titles on Last.fm). Anyway we can’t edit casing on Last.fm and I don’t want to see the same issue with that here. Album artist field seems to be missing here on ListenBrainz, or at least the foobar2000 ListenBrainz extension (Windows version) doesn’t pick up the album artist field from what I can tell, correct me if I’m wrong. Album artist is useful for sorting. For example, if I listen to 2Pac featuring Outlawz, I usually set 2Pac as the album artist, you know, that sort of stuff.

Anyway, on Last.fm if I scrobble a song wich I’ve tagged with multiple artists (say, 2Pac, Outlawz), Last.fm reads that as one artist and the linked page becomes one artist, like this:

I think it would be great if ListenBrainz could detect and categorize multiple artists.

Importing scrobbles from Last.fm to ListenBrainz often fails over some API inconsistency, and around 50 to 100 scrobbles are usually missing (from my 170,000+ scrobbles), though sometimes it happens after a few hours of trying over and over again, that it finally works and all scrobbles are imported. It would be great if this could be solved so that we only have to do it once, and it would also cut down the load on your servers I guess, but I realize this is not really an issue on your end, but rather an issue with Last.fm’s API.

Another thing, very useful, if you decide to implement this, that is, if you implement all features of Last.fm, is that every artist, album and track, should have unique number/text. So for example, if someone listens to 2Pac, Outlawz - Hit 'Em Up and someone else scrobbles the same song as 2Pac - Hit 'Em Up, it should be possible by the user community to identify these two differently named songs as one and the same song by its unique code/number. That way, we could get accurate statistics and of how compatible our music taste is between users, because you know, a lot of people scrobble the exact same songs taken from different albums (original studio album, greatest hits and various other compilation albums, like best of the 90s vol. 1, greatest hits of the 90s or whatever). And sometimes artists change their artist name, for example, 2Pac changed his to Makaveli, so if both 2Pac and Makaveli shared the same unique code/number, people scrobbling 2Pac and Makaveli wouldn’t count as two different artists. MetaBrainz already does this with the MusicBrainz database, that every song and artist and so on, are grouped after a unique URL identification, for example:

I think this last one is a necessity, because having used Last.fm almost ten years now, I can only say that Last.fm is a complete disorganized mess. There are countless of different track pages and artist pages and album pages based on how people tag the songs and artists they listen to. This would simplify things by a great deal, in that this album and that song and this artist always have this and that unique URL numbers/letters, and if someone scrobbles the same song with a slightly different title (for example, Hit Em Up instead of Hit 'Em Up), it would still be grouped as the same song based on the same unique URL letters/numbers.

Oh and yeah, I think I forgot this one in my wall of text: music taste compatibility between users. This is like the coolest aspect of Last.fm and I’d very much like to see it here as well. It’s fun comparing one’s taste with other users. I realize implementing all these features and functionality means a lot of work for you guys, but hey, you’re the code monkeys and not me :smiley:

Anyway, keep up the great work!

5 Likes

Pretty much everything you’d ever need to know about the ListenBrainz component is in the readme. But no one ever reads those, do they?

So yes, it does send album artist tags. And no they are not recognised by LB because they have never standardised how they would want/use them.

1 Like

Hi.

I’m trying some maneuvers here.

I wanted to change my current username on MusicBrainz, but that’s not possible at this moment.

Now I’m stuck with this account and even after an export I’m not being able to import it back to the new account I’ve just created.

I’ve exported my old database with the older account (this one I’m using) into a JSON file. But I’m not quite sure what to do with it, since there are no tools to import it back, even on MusicBrainz itself!

That’s completely nonsense imho.

So, I was trying to find a way to import the JSON db I exported on the old account to Last.fm, but no luck. I found an algorithm for that, but didn’t try it out because I’m not a programmer or coder, just a normal user.

So, what do you say? Is there a way to import the JSON db file back into the new account I’ve just created or will I have to wait until you make a solution?

I really wanted to keep using ListenBrainz, but I can’t keep using it under my older username. It’s deprecated now. Otherwise, you could put an option on the account settings to change the current username and email. That’s all I ask.

PS: I couldn’t even change the username and email aliases here on Discourse forums either. Please find a way for that.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to upgrade the map feature to better represent individual locations within countries like RateYourMusic does? It’s nice to be able to visualize exactly where artists come from when it comes to large countries like Russia, China, and the USA.

4 Likes

I am not sure if this has been asked before, or if it’s the right place to ask, but anyway… I would love to be able to import “favorite” artists from my MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz account to third party applications.

I’ll give you an example. There’s this application called MusicButler which keeps track of new music releases. Like many applications out there, it allows you to automatically import artists to follow by connecting your Spotify, Last.fm, iTunes Music, etc. account, so you don’t have to manually add each artist.

The cool thing is that once the account is connected, MusicButler is kept in sync, so whenever I add a new artist in Spotify, MusicButler sees the change and starts following that artist.

Now, talking about MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz: would it be possible to expose a user’s favorite artists through the API? As far as I know, I don’t think there’s even a concept of “favorite” in MusicBrainz/ListenBrainz, unless we consider a user’s top listened artists (in ListenBrainz) or a user’s edit subscriptions (in MusicBrainz).

Yes, I am mixing things up a bit, but ultimately it would be great to have a “Connect MusicBrainz” button in third party applications that allows you to automate things like importing favorite artists.

2 Likes

Thank you to the ListenBrainz team for all of your work. The platform has gone forward in leaps and bounds over the past year!

Two things I would love to see:

1. Ability to get charts based on listen time rather than scrobbles. I listen to a lot of music which has longer track times and I always feel that charts don’t truly reflect my listening habits. Instead they skew towards artists, albums and genres which have more, shorter tracks.

2. Better handling of collaborations. When two artists work on a project together, they are counted as a separate artist. In terms of maintaining integrity of the charts, I can understand the need to count the scribbles this way, but could the front end intelligently handle this so that scrobbles by artist A collaborating with artist B appear under both of their names rather than a separate A & B ID? (note: I’m not talking about features but full blown collaborations)

9 Likes

Would it be possible to display how many times a particular recording has been played on MB itself? I am not sure if this is a better fit for the MB or LB discussions, but it would be nice to click on a recording on MB and see how many people have listened to it (like how you can see AB key).
Edit: Now that I think about it, it would also be cool if we could go to an artist’s page and see something like the top 5 most popular tracks.

10 Likes

I would like to import playlists fron Spotify, in addition to export playlists from ListenBrainz to Spotify. Moreover, it should be possible to export ListenBrainz playlists as MusicBrainz Collections and viceversa.
As far as user preferences, it should be possible to consider all the information in MusicBrainz ratings, CritiqueBrainz votes and ListenBrainz likes as a single base to drive the recommendation engine.

5 Likes

would it be possible to expose a user’s favorite artists through the API?

As a starting point, ListenBrainz does have a love/hate feature for recordings (rather than artists) which you can retrieve programmatically: https://listenbrainz.readthedocs.io/en/production/dev/api/#get--1-feedback-user-(user_name)-get-feedback

With a bit more manipulation and a few calls to the MusicBrainz API you can get the artists from the recording MBIDs.
A bit cumbersome for your use-case perhaps, but doable.

Otherwise, as you mention you can get your top LB artists: https://listenbrainz.readthedocs.io/en/production/dev/api/#get--1-stats-user-(user_name)-artists

9 posts were split to a new topic: Submitting listens from AirSonic server and clients

The ability to edit already sent listens would be great. I have lots of artists with both their japanese and romanized names, causing duplicates. I’d like to unify and associate them to a MBID.
Maybe we could even set correction rules inside ListenBrainz so that new listens are automatically edited before being sent, though I’m not sure if that would be needed once the MSIDs/MBIDs association is set.

1 Like

Surely already said but in case:

1. A way to import playlists from computers:
    ex:
  • Import a playlist then it finds the Recording IDs from file (if present of course)
  • or creating a playlist from a collection (Easier to create a collection then remove one by one not needed tracks than adding them one by one)
  1. View & Edit Rating/Tags/Critiques from the different pages (Listens, Playlists,…)

2. Drive Foobar from ListenBrainz page (there are remote plugin already existing) in order to easily set Rating/Tags and edit (or an updated foo_listenbrainz to perform Rating/Tags directly in the app and an option to open the release and or recording)

Then when the main functions are there (and working properly :slight_smile: ) interested to see the functions to find new/similar music. (ex: This artist has a new single release, You may like this song or this user playlist may interest you,…)

4 Likes

It might be useful to share playlists or collections among different MetaBrainz projects.

4 Likes