.wav tags not getting saved

Hi I’m new to this forum, so please feel free to give me advise if this belongs elsewhere or whatever :slightly_smiling_face:

I just tried tagging some of my .wav music files. Picard found the album they belong to easily, there has been a green tick on any track (on the right hand site). The tags from the database all showed up in the “new value” column and after i pressed on the save-icon these tags also showed up in the “original value” column. I ticked the “save tags” option and unticked the “delete previous tags” option. Afterwards I closed picard and after reopening it and loading the “tagged” tracks they weren’t tagged anymore; it only showed the title, neither tags nor other metadata. I dont use any plugins, the files are not read-only. Picard is able to find the album and create a corresponding folder structure (artist-date-album-track) and also renames the title of the tracks accordingly. It just can’t save the tags. I tried deactivating Bitdefender (antivirus program) and running picard as an admin (I’m using the latest version). I was able to edit metadata of these songs (tag them) with VLC Mediaplayer and also with Media Monkey - they can read each others edits, but picard can’t.
I know this topic occured quiet often, but none of the previous discussions has helped me.

edit: I’m using win10 64bit, no errors or warnings visible in the log.

thanks for your time!

Writing wav files is not supported by picard.
The recommendation is to convert this to a lossless format such as flac and write tags to that.

Writing to wav is supported by other tagging software so if you do need to use wav there may be other options.

See a previous thread for more info.

3 Likes

thank you, totally forgot to check that beforehand

maybe one more question since I kinda want to convert to aiff now: Can you recommend any good audio converter? (i know .wav and .aiff have the same quality, but i still dont want to use a “bad” converter)

AIFF is a lossless format so it should not make a difference what tool you use to convert it it should end up with exactly the same file.
There seems to be a few compression algorithms and encoding options with the format that you can use with the aiff format.
This changes how the data is stored on disk but should not change the data itself.
If you convert a lossless file from format to format and back to wav you should end up with the same file you started with.

2 Likes