Vulgar unicode fractions vs. Using the fraction slash

When numbers in a song name are represented as fractions and there exists pre-composed vulgar fractions in Unicode to represent said fraction, should we use the vulgar fraction or write the fraction out with the fraction slash?
Example: ½ vs 1⁄2

2 Likes

Maybe I’m blind, but your example shows 2 identical characters to me. Did you mean ½ vs. 1/2? Even my copy & find says they are identical.

They should render the same way if the fraction slash is implemented properly in your font, but one is a pre-composed character while the other is a 1, a ⁄ and a 2.

Ok. That’s what I thought. It might be the forum here that automatically made them identical when viewed. I don’t know the answer, but I probably would go with the character when possible. But I don’t believe there is a rule on MB for that.

1 Like

It becomes visible when you mouse over it, but otherwise looks the same to me!
(I don’t know the answer to this question sorry mr. ssself)

fraction

1 Like

they look like this to me, for anyone else who can’t see:
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 12.56.56 AM
(i don’t know the answer either, sorry!)

2 Likes

Same here, both on my phone and my Linux laptop

On mine: Example: ½ vs 1⁄2. No hovering, no nothing changes it. Weird. I’m using Edge on my laptop.

I personally see no issue with doing it either way, unless maybe Picard handles one or the other in an unexpected way?

also, I see it the same way Aerozol showed, it’s real trippy :exploding_head:

I can visually see a distinction in the one-half renderings. The first one is a single character while the second is three characters rendered to look like the single character by Unicode. This is on Windows 10/Chrome.

As to which is “correct” – no idea.

1 Like

What I have done so far (but it’s really really really rare), is using the single character when it exists (⅓), or using the fraction bar when no single character exists (7⁄4).

It’s fun to have these characters possible, by the way!

5 Likes