Unicode characters userscript

Thanks @Freso, very instructive.

I’ve just add Hyphen (U+2010) and Minus (U+2212) to the menu.

Sorry about the long delay for this update, but there was a huge conception error in the last version that was prohibiting easy update as just adding the character in the list. I had to rethink my code, but it’s now solved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow “Ctrl+M” to pop up the menu nice keyboard setting at all.

2 Likes

@Smeulf, the script does not tell MBS that it has changed the text so, if the script change is your last change, MBS does not notice:

I have then submitted small path to fix that.

2 Likes

Hi @jesus2099!

Many thanks for the report, and for the fixes!

I’ll run some tests today, I want to check how it works if you try to change a character with the same one. Hopefully it will be fixed by the end of the day. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

That’s a very good test indeed!
I tried with “Heroes”, nothing funny happened. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same here with some apostrophe, it’s working great!

PRs are now merged and versions are updated. So the scripts should auto update for everyone.

Current stable version is 0.10.0.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I’d love to see Figure Dash added.

{"code": "\u2012", "name": "Figure Dash", "offset":1, "enabled":true, "default":false},

@chaban please update your script, it should appear now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Smeulf,
I’ll still using your script a lot.

I remember you had a branch with a work in progress version with several categories of characters is sub-menus, but we are still using the simple (but great) version.

Did you abandon this advanced version?
It was called extradev or something like that.

edit: It seems Smeulf has not been around for a while. :sob:

1 Like

Hi @jesus2099.

Indeed you’re right about all topics.

Been so long since I’ve been around, 'cause work is taking me away from a lot of things…

But I’m still alive! :slight_smile:

About the extradev branch, indeed it was not published because unfinished. You can still find it on GitHub it was not deleted, but I can’t guarantee it’s working. I remember something stopped me in that dev, but I ‘what?’ remains the question.

I assume you’re asking because you miss some chars in the main branch. I still can add some of needed. Just ask :wink:

And I will have some time at the end of July, I’ll take a look on this code to see if I can finish it or if it’s really a dead end.

I’ll keep you posted.

In the meantime, any comment or bug report on the current release or on the extradev branch is always welcome on GitHub.

Cheers
Smeulf

4 Likes

So nice to see you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have submitted some code on the main version, to add Multiplication Sign, Wave Dash and Corner Brackets:

And also on extradev version, to allow navigation in 2D (handling up and down arrow keys).
And also the same Multiplication Sign, and CJK Wave Dash and Corner Brackets, but in CJK category (not a country), so it looks a little bit strange, sorry.

Maybe you would come with an idea, before I start making your script going in weird directions:

Alternatively, instead of at the end and/or in a separate CJK category:

• I can put the Wave Dash with the other dashes (EN, EM) and
  • I can put the Corner Brackets with the other surrounding same meaning punctuations, like Double Quotes

Our I can put them in a JP category, where they are most used for MB, I think.

Waiting for advice. :wink:

Update: I have updated the 2 code proposals.

Hi @jesus2099 , hi all.

I have to check the commits, but using ‘JP’ as code is the right way. You should now see a Japan flag for your section ^^ (hopefully, or maybe I didn’t pushed that change, can’t remember).

Also I think it’s time to write what I hope to do with the future version.

First, a new look for the menu. Mainly only the chars displayed, plus a description and magnifying when moving the mouse over the char. That will allow having more chars displayed at once.

But there’s also a ‘hidden’ plan. I want to propose optional ‘language packs’ (this is why I introduced the country code) that would be downloaded directly from the repository, with periodic check for update. Diacritics, Greek and even your new JP pack would be optional by the end.

This would be done using a configuration menu (not yet implemented).

The config menu would also add some more functions, as:

• Add or hide chars to a language pack
  • Create custom language pack
  • Save and restore configuration

As you can see, there’s a lot to do to achieve what I want to propose. Will be a long journey…

Next step for me, write the full ToDo list, with priorities. Hopefully this weekend…

Cheers. Smeulf.

5 Likes

@jesus2099 I committed you PRs, and fixed the pack name for JP in extradev. You may want to update your repository and try

Btw, there’s some glitches in 2D navigation, for up and down now, but it’s really better than it was :wink: Fixing this won’t be my first priority, I want to start with the settings window for additional language pack.

Then I have to take care about language updates, and I want to rework some pieces of the code.

After that, I may rework the menu a bit (it’s ugly IMO). And finally the rest of the settings: hide/add characters, save/restore, and so on.

Cheers. Smeulf.

3 Likes

I didn’t see the whole discussion about the extradev branch, and created a PR against master this morning with some small changes to make it work in Safari as well and update the look of the menu to be more MB-ish.

1 Like

Hello Sirs,

I noticed some issues on apostrophe since some time:

I import a release from Discogs, apply the script then when I press the “Guess case” from MBz it switch back the apostrophe to basic straight one (" ’ " to " ’ ").

Any idea?

ex:

What is your version of the script?
I don’t have this behaviour.

Oh sorry, maybe I’m confusing with the other Bookmarklet/Userscript to guess Unicode punctuation of titles script!

This error sounds like MusicBrainz userscripts tips and tricks - #2 by jesus2099 but I cannot test this script at there moment, I’m on mobile (cannot type Ctrl+m).

Actually you are right

I was indeed referring to this script Bookmarklet/Userscript to guess Unicode punctuation of titles - #35 by kellnerd but post wrongly here :slightly_smiling_face:

Will restest after updating as indeed for the Bookmarklet the updates are not automatic compare to other scripts

Maybe you installed the bookmarklet version.
If you use the Install button or the usual Raw link, it should later auto-update, as a userscript.

Confirmed, no more issue with the xxxmonkey version.

Thanks

1 Like